11

The two sparkmates returned to base soon after, keeping in mind Ratchet's order to hurry back — presumably to keep the ground-bridge available while the combatants Autobots were out on their Decepticon hunt.

Magnus had previously dissolved his holo-form to transform into his bipedal mode with his arms crossed over his chassis, lacking the distraction he needed to keep his mind off of the mission. He didn't fancy feeling as helpless as he did, but knew that his prosthetic was not yet ready for extensive use; transforming on its own proved to be something to get used to as well.

He sighed heavily, turning his attention toward Ailani, whom sat on his shoulder with a content smile on her face. He couldn't decipher what caused her subtle happiness, but the sight of it alone lifted his sullen spirits.

"Ratchet," Optimus Prime's voice rang through the com-system. "Reopen the ground-bridge, but ensure that the humans are kept at a safe distance; for we will be returning with a Decepticon hostage."

Ailani perked from her hunched over position on Magnus' shoulder, gaze meeting his own surprised optics. Without a word, the mech gently grabbed the human around the waist and set her down softly on the recreation platform just as Jack stood up.

"Who do you think it'll be?" Ailani questioned once he, Miko, and Raph made it to her side.

"Not sure," Jack replied as the bridge tunnel whirled to life. "But it's best to keep our distance."

At that, Ailani's now concerned look was shifted in the direction of the ground-bridge, where Magnus had already stationed himself beside with a prominent scowl on his faceplate.

Optimus and Bulkhead were the first to re-enter base, either of their servos gripping the mesh of a Con Ailani didn't recognize. His prominent color was grey, and hues of glowing purple lined up his arms, chassis, and down his legs. His servos were sharply clawed, and he had a black screen where his faceplate was supposed to be.

Ailani watched tentatively as Ratchet aided the two mechs in restraining the unnamed — and clearly unconscious — Decepticon to the medical berth; and soon after he began to stir.

"Because we have the foresight to shield our new base," Ratchet had said as the Con struggled against the cuffs securing his wrists. "Our captive will be unable to transmit his coordinates to the Decepticon warship."

"Nor will they in turn be able to pinpoint his location." Optimus added with a clear confidence to his voice.

"Guess we have all the time in the world to make Mister Personality tell us everything he knows." Wheeljack commented, clearly amused at the Con's predicament as he pounded his fist against his servo.

"The Cons surveillance chief must know a lot, right?" Jack guessed whilst Agent Fowler came up behind them.

"But Soundwave doesn't speak," Miko pointed out, hands gripping the railing as she stood next to Ailani. "Does he?"

"What help is he supposed to be?" She questioned under her breath, a single fist on her hip.

"I'm not sure he even has a face." Raph whispered, one hand wrapped around Ailani's knee.

The girl's attention fell to the boy at her side, she immediately noticing the look of worry he adorned with his eyes on the Decepticon — or the now known, Soundwave.

She sent down her own hand to place it on top of Raph's head, trying to comfort him as she squinted back to the still-struggling Con. She wasn't necessarily sure why, but she felt as if he was looking at her — optic-less or not.