Chapter 3

Pic is of Zoey Deutch who I picture as Virginia, but with green eyes.

Playlist:
This Probably Won't End Well by All That Remains
In Between by Beartooth

*****
My head lolled back against the seat of the car and I relaxed being off the street. I smiled to myself. It had been a good night.
        Dancing, music, catching up with Sam, Eric, Alex, and Dani, getting to know Noah, Jack, and Adam. The drinks and the laughter, it was a good idea to get out. I should listen to Harrison more often, and I laughed aloud at that thought. I really must've had a good bit to drink if I was agreeing with Harrison's ideas. I thought back to the blue eyed man I had left on the corner. Even the conversation with Hero wasn't so bad, I guess.
     I still couldn't believe he had told me I should bring him home with me. What a manwhore. It was a common trend in band guys.
     I shifted uncomfortably, aware of a damp sensation between my legs and a warmth in my lower belly.
       Alright, I admitted to the sluttier side of myself. He was hot, and I guess he was flirting. It's been awhile so maybe I'm just out of practice, I reasoned. No you're just a stick in the mud, the little voice said. I ignored her.
      I sighed. One day I could consider taking a guy home to have my way with. Today was not that day. Hero was not that guy. I laughed a little to myself. I must really be desperate for some dick.
     Hero was a real piece of work, but aside from him, I made it through an entire night with Harrison, went to a concert, out for drinks, and back home without incident. It was just like old times again. It was an amazing feeling.
After about 15 minutes, Carlos pulled up in front of my apartment building. "I'll wait till you get in the door." He said, smiling like a nice uncle.
      "Thank you." I said, happily giving him a 5 star review in my head and making a mental note to transfer it into Uber.
      I stepped out of the car, sliding my phone into my back pocket and pulling my keys out. My fingers felt thick and stupid as I walked up the steps, searching for the right key.
      Behind me, I heard a screech of tires on wet concrete. I dropped my keys, whirling around and flinched into the door alcove at the top of the steps. A very familiar silver truck roared down the street, the windows tinted so dark I could only see the faint outline of the driver.
      The truck roared away and I felt my heart sink in my chest. I snatched my keys up from the ground, raised a shaky hand to wave Carlos off, and clumsily unlocked the building entrance door, slamming it closed behind me. I raced up the stairs to our third floor apartment and fumbled with the lock, before finally entering the safety of my apartment. My heart was still pounding in my chest as I threw the deadbolt down and leaned back against the door.
      Stupid, stupid, stupid, internal Virginia sulked, you can lie to yourself all you want, but you can't lie to me. You knew tonight went too well. 

I stayed against the door for awhile, trying to calm down. You didn't see a license plate. It may not have been him.
      Of course it was him Virginia, don't be a fucking moron, internal Virginia chided me.
      I pushed off the door, taking a deep breath and went around the apartment to make sure all the windows were locked.
          It had been a few weeks since I had seen anything of my ex, Ian. I had deluded myself into thinking he had finally given up, but apparently he was just biding his time. His drive by tonight was a clear message that he was still keeping an eye on me. I shuddered, suddenly feeling completely sober.

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket:

V: Made it home, lmk when you're at Dani's

I sat my phone on the bathroom counter, where seconds later the screen lit up with Harrison's reply.

H: 👌🏻🙃

      I shook my head, mildly amused. After double checking the locks on the windows, I grabbed a change of clothes and hopped in the shower. As the steam filled the little bathroom, I sat on the floor of the shower with my knees pulled to my chest, memories pouring through me like the water flowing over me.
     My relationship with Ian had been a whirlwind my freshman year. He was a bit older, a sophomore, who had sat next to me in my general biology lecture. He was handsome, rugged, sarcastic and witty, but funny, and also sweet. We started dating after a few weeks. But as the months passed, he changed, or maybe I changed, I didn't know.
      Suddenly, all his little behaviors started adding up to something black, ugly, and dangerous. The texts at all hours asking me what I was doing, to send him a picture of whatever I was doing at that exact moment became more frequent. The fits of anger when I didn't immediately respond did too. He grew distrustful of me, accusing me of cheating with random men, and he and Harrison started fighting whenever they were around each other. He wanted me to move out of my dorm with her and move into his apartment. When I brought it up to Harrison, she flipped out.