Secrets

Wally's POV

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us? Getting out of here might do you some good." M'gann pleaded, but the more she begs the less I actually want to leave. "No thanks, you guys may think I have an unhealthy obsession, but I don't. I just want to make sure I'm the first person she sees seven she wakes up."

"Spoken by a true crazy person." I look up to see Artemis and Zatanna have now squeezed their way into the tiny door frame, but they're not dressed up like expected. "Well we have to get going, see you guys in a few hours" M'gann sighs giving all of us disappointed looks before vanishing.

"Why aren't you going?" I ask the two girls taking in there superhero attire rolling my eyes when all I get at first are two mirroring smirks. "I need to clear my head, and I can't stay here..." She sighs giving me a sheepish glance remembering our conversation from last week, but it's more than just that.

For the last two weeks the team has been spending the least amount of time possible here. Finding it hard to sit around each other without Anastasia, and I get that I really do everyone feels like it's wrong to continue on without her, but it's not like she's dead she's coming back. I think that's why I've spent all of my free time here.

"...My other option was playing third wheel with Romeo and Juliet, so Zatanna and I are just going on patrol." She finishes making me wonder how much I missed while zoned out. "Well have fun I'm just... Going to stay here." I explain just in case they didn't know, but I'm sure they did.

I give the girls a short wave quickly turning back to Anastasia expecting them to leave, but Artemis hangs back clearly expecting something, and when I do nothing she leaves with a huff of disappointment or annoyance. I'm not really sure at this point.

I'm not sure how long I sat there staring at her waiting, anticipating for her to wake up before someone walked in. I turn to see Ana's mom, Wonder Woman herself, looking more worn and tired than I've ever seen her. Obviously she's taking the lack of her daughter's presence just as hard as the rest of us each day becoming more unbearable without her charisma and wit.

"Wally... I thought the team was going to a Halloween dance?" She asks almost tentatively, and I immediately stand up suddenly feeling awkward, out of place, and like I'm refraining her from seeing her daughter. "They did, but I..." But I stayed behind because I have so much to make up to your daughter, and I can only imagine all the things she's said about me, and you probably hate me...

"I'm just going to go" I sigh in defeat quickly trading places with the dark haired woman, only to stop short of my escape when she calls me out. "You don't have to leave, I understand the need to be near her."

So slowly, I know weird, I shuffle to the other side of the bed standing stiffly as Diana sits down disregarding me completely as she checks up on Ana. I watch as she lovingly runs a hand through Ana's hair her stoic face breaking for a split second until she realizes I'm still in the room.

She quickly gives me a sharp look that I can't read before focusing on gently adjusting Anastasia so she's more comfortable. "She likes you a lot Wally." She suddenly speaks up, and my body stiffens. What does she mean by that?

"I sure hope so we're best friends." I laugh nervously literally biting my tongue to make sure I stop there, and don't accidently hit on her mom before I realize what I'm doing. Bad and unnecessary flirting is a habit I've built, and I always seem to turn to it when uncomfortable or unsure. And that's because catching someone off guard helps me keep control of any situation.

She's studying me her blue eyes exact replicas of Anastasia's, and instead of feeling uncomfortable I feel at ease realizing how much I've missed her shining eyes. "Ahem." She clears her throat, and that's when I realize I was gazing down at Ana most likely looking like a creep.