Failsafe

Anastasia's POV

I stand record breakingly still as I watch my mom disintegrate no emotions taking over like one would expect. Instead I just stand there, but everyone else is doing the same almost like we're dead. I can't explain why, but I do keep latching on to this feeling of security. Somethings telling me things are not what they seem.

"We are Earth's heroes now" Aqualad speaks up acting just as emotionless, and I'm not sure if I should be worried or relieved. "So what are we waiting for a theme song?" Conner demands probably more eager to fight after witnessing what just happened.

"A strategy, Earth's weapons have proved ineffective, and it has been made clear a direct attack will not succeed." Aqualad explains even though we don't need it. I scuff my boot against the ground lost in my thoughts

Why did I have to be the one to survive?
------------------------------------------------------------------

Anastasia's POV

I crouch behind the ice opposite of Artemis both of us checking to make sure we're in the clear. I pluck my tiara off my head tossing it like a frisbee right in front of the ship as a distraction giving M'gann enough time to disable the communications and ground it.

I sink farther into the ground once it starts firing until Artemis blocks it from seeing because I already know my bracelets can't absorb the impact. My mom found that out for me the hard way...

"Divine, Artemis you're on look out. Anything comes knock it out of the sky" Aqualad instructs and we nod knowing fully well what it could mean especially since our mentors couldn't do that.

"Two ships to your left" I shout in my head taking my stance praying to Zeus my divine energy can do something against these things. "Athena give me strength" I whisper feeling like a coward whispering a prayer I abandoned once we moved, and here I am begging for something I don't deserve.

Still the divine energy engulfs the ship blowing it up immediately ricocheting off of the one Artemis hit that is now falling to the ground. She takes off running, and I zip through the sky.

I can't believe we thought we were in the clear...

"Artemis!" M'gann cries and something latches onto my mind almost forcing me to look down to see my friend is no longer racing behind me. Now all of a sudden it's like I'm seeing everything in a different light. Aqualad races to the edge hitting the water causing a domino effect and as the ship shoots up I cross my arms tearing it to shreds making sure not a single piece of it is left.

"Every single one of them is dead" Wally seethes everyone else seeming much more alive than earlier, and I look to Wally hoping I can convey all of my apologies with a stare.

"I'm sorry..." I sigh giving him a tight hug that he quickly returns. "I am too..."

After that everyone silently boards the bioship still in a state of shock that our snarky blonde friend won't be joining us, but I hang back looking down at the spot where she died because I was too busy saving myself.

"Ahhhhh!" I scream punching the ice hard enough that the entire side breaks off, and I feel like I could punch through a hundred alien ships and I still wouldn't be satisfied.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Anastasia's POV

I drop out of the bioship with Superboy both of us landing on different ships, and I take out all of my anger that's built up on the ride here on the ship leaving a decent dent. As it starts to tip downwards I tear the gun off, and fly the rest of the way to the hall Superboy already waiting.