Chapter 8

CHAPTER EIGHT.

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.

Not only does Montparnasse not have a plan, but he didn't even start to think about maybe having a plan.

"You're an idiot," I keep shouting at him as we're running through the deserted halls.

"Insulting me won't get us anywhere," he yells back.

At least Pierre caused a big enough distraction. We haven't met a single guard since we jumped out of the ventilation shaft.

"Do you even know where we are?" I ask him.

"Umm, sure."

"Doesn't look like it."

"Okay, maybe they changed a couple things since I've last been here. Don't criticize my memory."

"I'm criticizing your pea-size brain," I mutter under my breath.

"I heard you," he exclaims.

"Good."

Still, I keep following him. Getting lost with someone is better than getting lost alone. Besides, he has been here before... Wait.

"Why have you been here before?" I ask him.

He stops and turns around, smirking.

"I may or may not have been arrested a couple times..."

"A couple?"

"Well, I stopped counting at fifteen. No one likes a bragger. But I'm sure I broke a record. 'Ponine only got arrested once. She's usually smarter than them. Well, actually, she's probably smarter than all of us. But still, I'm surprised she was roaming around the National Guard, she usually keeps her distance. I guess it has to do with your little deal, am I right?"

My eyes widen in shock.

"You know about the deal?" I say.

"Only know that you made one with her, that's all. It's your business. Just know that if 'Ponine gets hurt or something, I'm going to hurt you."

And with that, he turns to the left and enters yet another deserted hallway. Whoa, protective much.

"They're not going to hurt her," I say, matter-of-factly.

And that's when the scream is heard. Montparnasse spins around and gives me such a look of doom that I swear I was about to die right here, in the middle of the hall. He then turns back around and doubles speed towards where the scream had come from. Please, let it not be Eponine. Anyone but Eponine.

We turn the corner and see two guards knocked out on the ground. As we continue to make our way through the hall, there are more and more unconscious bodies lying on the floor. I wonder who did this?

We finally arrive in the cell section and Montparnasse stops dead in his tracks without warning, making me slam right into him.

"Watch it," he hisses.

I ignore his comment and look around. All the cells seem deserted. All but one.

"'Ponine!" Montparnasse suddenly exclaims as he rushes towards the last locked cell.

I arrive less than a second later and notice a small figure sitting in the corner. As soon as she sees Montparnasse, she jumps to her feet and almost crashes into the metal bars separating them. I can't help but feel a small knot being formed in my stomach.

"'Parnasse, you idiot, what are you doing here?"

I see Montparnasse's expression instantly change from relief to shock.

"I'm sorry?" he lets out.

"You're not supposed to be here. That's not part of my plan. You-"

"Well, well, well..." a voice from behind us interrupts. "Look who we have here."

I spin aroun and freeze on the spot. Because right there, standing with his arms crossed, all alone, is Javert. I think I've stopped breathing.

"Montparnasse, nice to see you again," he says.

"Yeah, I could think of other words than 'nice'..."

"Well, for once, I might agree with you. Which is why I'll be asking you to leave."

"What?" Montparnasse exclaims.

"You heard me. Either you leave or I'll have to knock you out, like I did with all my guards here..."

"Wait," I interrupt. "You did this?"

I see a smirk appear on his face.

"Well, Mademoiselle Eponine here talked about a private meeting, and it wouldn't be very private with guards roaming around, now, would it? They found your buddy Pierre and immediately sent a patrol down here to check on her. I had to... handle them."

"I'm here to free 'Ponine," Montparnasse says. "I'm not leaving."

"Fine," Javert replies, digging in his pockets.

He pulls out a set of keys and unlocks Eponine's cell.

"Mademoiselle Thénardier, you are free to go. But next time, I trust you'll know that I won't be this generous."

"Trust me, Javert, there won't be a next time."

Montparnasse grabs Eponine's hand and they immediately start to run away. I take a step to follow them, to know if Eponine is all right or not, but a hand grabs hold of my arm.

"Not you, Enjolras," Javert's voice orders. "Let's have a little chat, first."