Chapter 14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I BLINK TWICE.

No, this can't be. This isn't right. I just arrived at Café Musain with Gavroche to find it completely empty.

"What the hell? Weren't they still planning the rebellion?"

"They were when I left," Gavroche replies, as much in shock as I am.

"Then where could they have gone?"

"I'd like to know the same thing," a voice says from the corner.

Gavroche and I spin around and find ourselves face to face with Javert. I grab Gavroche's shoulder while keeping my eyes glued on the head of the National Guard.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, trying to sound harsh.

"I made it clear that I'd keep an eye on your friends. However, they seem to have disappeared. Any ideas, gentlemen?"

Gavroche nervously shakes his head.

"No, sir," he stutters.

"I wish you'd tell me," I say. "You're the one who's been watching them."

Javert stifles a laugh.

"Yes, well, even the greatest make mistakes. Trust me, I won't make it again."

He takes a step forward. I can feel Gavroche trembling.

"Why don't you leave us?" Javert tells him. "Time for a grown-up chat."

Gavroche quickly nods and is down the stairs before I have time to add anything else. I turn back to Javert.

"What did you do that for?" I exclaim. "I needed him for something else afterwards!"

One name is running in a constant loop in my head at the moment: Eponine.

"That boy was terrified," he replies. "And so he should be."

"But I needed him!"

"And I need you! This isn't a good sign, Enjolras. You students haven't left Café Musain for months! Why now? Why today?"

We suddenly hear some noise from outside. We rush to the open window just as the town crier raises his arms in the air.

"Listen up, folks, I've got some big news!"

I turn to look at Javert, but he just hunches his shoulders, eager to know what just happened, too.

"It's a sad day, indeed," the town crier continues, "for today we lost a man of great importance in the heart of the people. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm profondly saddened to announce that General Lamarque is dead."

Gasps suddenly fill the crowd gathered below as Javert stumbles back. No, this can't be. Lamarque can't be dead. But then it hits me. Of course. That's why the boys are gone. I look back towards Javert who just seems to be at a loss of words. But just by looking at him, I realize that he has no clue.

"Javert," I say.

He looks up immediately.

"What, boy?"

I take a deep breath.

"It's happening," I finally tell him.

Javert raises an eyebrow.

"What's happening?"

"The rebellion," I let out. "It's happening. Right now."