Chapter 19

CHAPTER NINETEEN

WE WEREN'T EXPECTING THIS.

As all the boys are starting to fall asleep, a big ball of light illuminates the night sky for just two seconds before landing onto our barricade.

I jump over Eponine just as the second blow comes, covering her smaller body with mine. The ground shakes, pieces of wood explode everywhere, but our barricade stands.

"Grab your weapons!" I yell.

Well, the boys are definitely awake now. I push myself off Eponine as she slowly turns around to face me. I can see in her eyes that although she's putting up a strong front, she's actually terrified. I put my hands on her shoulders and stare at her straight in the eyes.

"Eponine," I start.

"Enjolras!" Feuilly cuts in. "We're low on weapons and ammunition. The guys are freaking out."

"Can this wait?"

Feuilly opens his eyes wide.

"Enjolras. Have you not seen that we're sort of under attack?"

I look back at Eponine who hasn't moved an inch, her face almost as white as snow now.

"Right," I sigh. "There's an extra stash in my appartment. Give what we have and go with someone to get the rest. We have not said our last word."

Feuilly nods and quickly runs away with Bahorel. I see the rest of the guys quickly passing the last of the guns and ammunition amongst themselves. I look back at Eponine.

"We'll get through this," I tell her. "Trust me."

I grab the gun Marius is lending out to me and pull Eponine into Café Musain. I shut the doors behind us.

"Stay here while they're still shooting. If you see some coming over the barricade, run."

I go to leave but she grabs me firmly by the arm.

"No," she objects. "No, you're not outing me."

"I'm trying to protect you."

"Protect me from what? My brother's dead. Montparnasse wants to kill me. My father doesn't care the least bit about me. You're the only person I have left, Enjolras. You can't leave me." She takes a deep breath. "You just can't."

I look over my shoulder and see that the National Guard has reopened fire. I bite my bottom lip. Whatever I do here, I'm screwed.

I grab her hand and gently remove it from my arm. I look into her deep brown eyes and smile sadly.

"I'm sorry," I tell her. "One day, you'll understand that I'm doing this for you."

I lean in and kiss her on the forehead before immediately turning around. I don't want to see her face. I don't want to see her mad at me. I rush out of Café Musain before she has time to react to what just happened and quickly close the doors behind me. I grab a piece of wood that probably came from the barricade and wedge it through the door handle, making it impossible to open.

"I'm going to kill you, Enjolras!" I hear her scream from inside as she's banging on the doors, trying to open them.

I take a deep breath and turn around, towards the chaos.

"Sorry, Eponine," I mumble. "But I have a feeling that they'll beat you to it."

I charge my gun and start to make my way towards the barricade.