Chapter 21

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

WHERE IS SHE?

She was supposed to be here, plotting ways to kill me. I hoped at first that she had found a way to escape, but there are only three ways out and she most likely never took those exits.

The first is through the doors I had blocked with a piece of wood, which now seems like the worst plan ever. The second is through the back, an exit which I doubt she knew about. Besides, that is where the National Guard is heading, which basically means that if she tried that, we would've heard the gunshots. And the last is through the second floor window, and I think I would've seen my beloved falling down and hitting the pavement.

I entered Café Musain through the front doors and am now hiding under the stairs. I can hear the soldiers talking overhead, clearing every corner. I think the worst part is that I can't shout her name without blowing my cover. If I don't find Eponine before they do... No, I don't want to even think about that possibility.

"Eponine," I whisper harshly.

I look around but there is no movement. Of course not, idiot. She doesn't have super-sonic hearing.

"Eponine, I swear, if you get yourself killed, I am so going to kill you," I mutter.

"I'm not giving you that satisfaction," I hear a voice whisper behind me.

I spin around and there she is, in flesh and blood, with a huge scowl on her face. Before I have time to even open my mouth, her hand is there, on my face, slapping me hard.

"That's for locking me in here, you idiot," she tells me. "And if anyone's killing someone, it's me killing you."

And the next moment, she's leaning in, kissing me. I'm surprised at first, because (a) I thought she hated me and (b) this is not the time nor place to do so, but I let her anyways. This feels so good. She finally pulls away and I stare at her straight in the eyes.

"I see you're not running away this time."

"Oh, shut up."

"Was that a 'thank you for saving me, you're my hero' kiss?" I ask with a smirk.

She shakes her head.

"Absolutely not. That was a 'we're probably going to die because you're so not a hero so I wanted to kiss you for real before I die' kiss."

I stare at her, waiting for a laugh or a smile, or something. But no. She's dead serious.

"Wow. Harsh."

"Holding a gun in your hands doesn't make you a hero, Enjolras. And coming in here, trying to save me or whatever, makes you the stupidest person ever. But still, I appreciate the thought."

"Uh, thanks?"

I see now that the frail, insecure, lonely, scared girl I held in my arms less than twenty-four hours ago is long gone. I look back at her and see a gleam in her eyes. I think I understand now. She's wearing her confidence as an armor. This is how she holds all the broken pieces inside of her together.

"Eponine," I start.

"Sshh, they're going to hear us."

"But Ep-"

"I said quiet!"

She looks at me so hard, I almost swallow my tongue. Well, that gleam of vulnerability in her eyes is definitely gone now.

"Give me the gun," she tells me.

"I'm not sure that's a good idea..."

"I'm trying to reach that ventilation shaft," she says, pointing at the one on the other side of the corridor. "I don't really want them to have a clear shot at me."

I look up and see that, indeed, they can have a perfect view on the corridor separating us from that ventilation shaft if they wanted to. They'd just have to lean a bit over the railing.

"Fine. But if they start shooting..."

"Relax. They won't. Besides, I'm sure I know how to use it better than you."

Eponine grabs the gun from my hand and extends her arm. She manages to poke the edge of the ventilation shaft with the end.

"And I suppose this leads to the sewers, just like inside the National Guard?" I ask her.

"Well, I'm hoping. If not we'll end up who knows where. Can't be worst than here, really."

She pokes it for the fifth time and this time, it's the right one. The grid covering the opening falls down on the ground, making a loud crashing sound. My head shots up as at least a dozen soldier heads instantly pass over the railing. I make eye contact with one of them.

"Eponine?" I say, eyes locked with the young man.

"I saw," she replies. "Dammit."

I grab her hand and lead her down the corridor as the bullets start raining down.