Chapter 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

THIS IS A FIRST.

I have never kissed a girl and had her running away right afterwards. But I did it. I actually kissed Eponine Thénardier. The Eponine Thénardier. And then she had fled the scene... Yeah, that last part was not one of my finest moments.

But still, Eponine Thénardier. I can't believe it. Me, Enjolras, of all people. And I had the guts to do it, or more the lack of brains.

"Hey, you!" a voice suddenly booms from behind me.

I turn around in a flash and spot Montparnasse coming towards me. He seems to be fuming mad. Oh no. I'm too stunned to move. He comes up to me, grabs me by the collar of my shirt, and shoves me on the wall.

"You!"

"W-What?" I stutter.

"I know it was you!"

"I didn't do anything!"

"Stop lying to me!"

He shoves me back up on the wall.

"It was mine, now," he spats. "You betrayed me. You betrayed our deal."

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play stupid with me! I woke up this morning and the money was gone! You broke our deal!"

Okay. Now, I'm caught up.

"That deal was with Eponine," I tell him.

He just shakes his head, not really listening to me.

"That money of yours better be in my hands before sunset or-"

He suddenly stops mid-sentence and loosens his grip on me. I gasp, just now realizing that I was having trouble getting air in my lungs.

"Eponine," he repeats to himself. "She's the only one who knew..."

"Knew what?" I try.

But he just keeps ignoring me.

"She's the only one who knew!" he suddenly bursts out.

Montparnasse instantly lets go of me and starts running away. I takes me a second too long to realize where he's going.

Eponine. The money. The betrayal. She's the only one who knew...

And then I get it. He must've hidden the money in a place only Eponine knew of. Crap. He knows it's her. He knows it's not me.

Without a second thought, I immediately start running towards Thénardier's inn. I have to go help Eponine. I don't know what Montparnasse is thinking, but I know that it can't be good.

As soon as I arrive, I know that something's wrong. The door is flung open, but I hear no sound inside. It's like the place is deserted. I am about to head inside when I hear someone coming. I quickly rush to the side of the building just as Montparnasse storms out of the inn.

"Where the hell is she?!" he yells.