Chapter 17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THIS IS THE MOMENT.

This is when you're supposed to end it all. When you realize that all of this was a mistake, that you're not ready, that this will end in a complete disaster.

But I'm out of time.

Even with Javert out of the way, the National Guard is still blowing its full force on us. The commanding officer is not giving us a second to breathe. Guns are being fired in every direction. We barely had time to build our barricade.

"Enjolras!" Courfeyrac screams as he fires a bullet right through a soldier's heart.

I rush to him and notice a red stain forming over his shoulder.

"You were shot," I realize.

"I'm okay. It just hurts a bit."

"I'm getting you out of here."

He protests, but I don't give him any other option. I start pulling him into Café Musain.

"Now's not the time to be the hero trying to save everyone," Courfeyrac mutters.

"Yes, well, I could tell you the same thing."

I sit him down on the ground and rip a piece of my shirt. I bend down to wrap it around his shoulder and that's when the scale of this battle hits me.

At first, I'll admit, I had no clue where our final battle would take place. But when the National Guard was coming after us, and all the boys headed towards Café Musain to build the barricade, I understood. This is where it all started, and this is where it shall end.

"We need medical help," I sigh. "And that was Combeferre."

"I'm fine," Courfeyrac persists. "Let me go back. I have to protect Gavroche!"

And just as he says that, I notice a small figure walking on top of the barricade amidst the gunshots and sword fights. No. Tell me I'm dreaming.

I open my mouth to scream his name, but it's too late. The gunshot is heard and his body falls down the barricade. And then all goes silent, until Courfeyrac's awful blood-hurling scream is heard. I'm definitely awake.

"Gavroche!" he yells at the top of his lungs.

He pushes me out of the way and runs to the little boy's body. I quickly follow him back outside, a knot filling in my stomach.

No, this can't be. Gavroche can't be dead. He can't be dead on my account. I can't have caused this.

"Gavroche," Courfeyrac weeps.

I look around but all the soldiers seem to have ceased fire. I nod to Feuilly, sitting stunned at the top of the barricade, and he shakes his head. They've stopped attacking.

I watch as Courfeyrac holds the little boy in his arms and rocks him gently, tears flowing down his cheeks. Just by the look on his face, I know that Gavroche is long gone from this world. I'll blame myself forever for this.

"Guys?" a voice asks from behind us.

All but Courfeyrac turn around, guns in the air in a second, as we realize that it's Combeferre standing on the side of the building.

"What are you doing here?" Feuilly spats, half angry, half still in shock of what just happened to Gavroche.

"I heard the gunshots," Combeferre explains, "and I just-"

He stops mid-sentence as his eyes fall on Courfeyrac, kneeling on the ground, still holding the little boy's body in his arms. Combeferre immediately rushes towards him and grabs Courfeyrac in his arms.

"He's gone," Courfeyrac hiccups. "Gavroche is gone."

Combeferre gently pries open Courfeyrac's grip and holds him tight in his own arms. Prouvaire and Bahorel then sease that moment to grab Gavroche's body and bring it away. I just stand there, looking at the same spot, for what seems to be an eternity. A voice suddenly slaps me back to reality.

"That was my brother..."

I look to my right and spot what at first seemed to be a boy I've never seen before. But then I looked closer and almost gasped in shock. That was no boy. That was a girl dressed as a boy.

"Eponine..." I let out.

"I'm too late," she adds, eyes locked on where Gavroche gave his last breath.

I instinctively put my arm around her shoulders, and this time she doesn't pull away. I hold her close, half because I want to comfort her, half because I don't want her to run away from me ever again.