When I'd asked her who the guests were, she'd refused to say! Later, when Peggy and I tried to help with the chores, she'd only shooed us away, saying we were more of a burden than a help. Well, I probably couldn't argue with that. 

"Can you at least tell us when these guests are arriving?" Peggy had inquired as we hovered around our mother, eyes wide with eagerness and tampered excitement. We'd both grown bored since Angelica had left. 

Our mother had simply cast us a sharp look before replying curtly with pursed lips, "Tomorrow."

Peggy and I had clapped our hands together and squealed with released excitement before rushing outside. Now, Peggy and I dance together in the front yard, our shoes kicked off and hair unbound, our hair ribbons scattered on the grass. The exciting news is made all the better by the warm sun. It had cooled down slightly since this afternoon, so outside is now far more tolerable.

Peggy takes one of my hands and guides it to her shoulder before taking my other hand in her hand. "Now, follow me," she instructs before taking a step back and then to the left, back to the front, and then to the right.

I stumble after her, caught off guard by her sudden steps. "I swear I wasn't this bad at the ball when I danced with Alexander!" I protest at her increasing disapproving looks.

Peggy lifted her chin in a jaunty manner before remarking in an aristocratic voice, "That's because Alexander is an excellent dancer and can handle an unruly partner." 

I scowl at her as I counter defensively, "I am not an unruly dancer."

Peggy only shrugs with a knowing smile before taking my hands again and starting again. After the fourth go around and after the millionth time I've stumbled on her feet and my own feet, she complains, "Stop stepping on my toes!" 

"Sorry!" I apologize quickly with a wince.

Peggy merely begins the dance again, but changes the pattern to two steps backward, one to the right, two to the left, and three forward. I manage to somewhat keep up, but I don't miss the frown that deepens on Peggy's face.

After the tenth go, I step away from Peggy and gasp out, "I need a free style dancing break."

"What?"

"A free style dance. Come on, just dance," I tell her, taking her hands in mine and swinging us around in a circle till only our joined hands are the reason we're still standing. It's not necessarily a free style dance, but it's close enough. I'm just relieved that I don't have to fall any dancing routines as I swing us in a circle. 

Peggy laughs loudly and shouts, "I'm getting dizzy!" and I can't help my own laugh in response.

 I twirl us around and around, and we slowly begin moving involuntarily towards the right side of the house. Suddenly, I hear a horse 'nay', and I instantly let go of Peggy's hands in my surprise. I realize my mistake when we both go flying. The air is knocked out of me as I land with a hard thud on the ground, and I hear Peggy let out a little oomph as she does the same about five feet away. 

I gasp for air, the corset tied tightly around my waist making it difficult to regain my breath, and shove my hair out of my face as I make to rise to my feet. Firm hands wrap unexpectedly around my waist and, a moment later, I find myself in standing position, staring breathlessly into a pair of familiar brown eyes.

"Lafayette!" I cry out ecstatically before wrapping my arms around his shoulders into a hug. I feel his arms wrap around my waist to hug me back before he draws back and says, "I fear Peggy has been left unattended on the ground. I should go help her before we begin our greetings."