Monsters Inc.

Weeks had gone by, peacefully, normal life had resumed, habits and routine had settled back in...
Dean observed as Castiel was helping Chadwick doing his homeworks while listening to Jewel reciting her poem.
Leaning on the door frame with a cup of coffee in his hand, he felt soothed and he wished this moment of pure happiness would last forever.
Since the night of the aggression on Castiel, Dean had to admit he was looking at his friend in a different way.
Today, there was fear in his eyes...Fear of losing everything one day...
That feeling had been persistent since his mother's death. Life was so fragile, sometimes holding by a thread. Tessa was a painful reminder of it.
So he was determined to cherish moments like this one and treasure them in his heart.
His thumb fidgeted nervously with the anse of his cup.
Today he was wondering how to introduce a new piece in his family puzzle.
He had been dating Lisa Braeden for almost two months now; it was time to introduce her to the rest of the family. He had understood since the beginning of their relationship that she wouldn't be just a one-night adventure, that perhaps, he could build something solid with her.
Chadwick woke him up from his reverie.
He saw the boy close his book and smile to Castiel who returned the smile. One nod and Chadwick understood he was free to go. Castiel concentrated then on Jewel's poem. She was having a hard time, although Castiel had the patience of a saint.

Lisa would try to find her place among them... What would it be ?
Would she take over Castiel's responsibilities?
Somehow, this thought was cutting through his soul because it was a little truth he refused to acknowledge.
If Lisa was to live with them in this house, she wouldn't be a new Tessa, nor a new mother, but simply a feminine presence... She had confessed she loved kids and she wanted to have some.
She was well aware of Chadwick and Jewel's existence.
And she knew about Castiel... She also knew about the bond between them... She said she understood.
Understand it was way too different from living with it from the inside...
Besides, how do you ask the man who shared your existence for more than ten years, who became the very foundation of your family for more than two years to give up his seat to someone else? Dean didn't even know whether he felt like asking Castiel to do just that.
He knew Castiel would agree to step aside, for the children's sake and his own. He had said so before, but Dean wasn't to be taken in by this declaration, he had seen how much it had affected Castiel to say the words...
He drank up his cup... As long as he was asking himself this kind of questions, it meant he wasn't ready yet.
He couldn't take his eyes off his friend's neck...
Castiel probably felt it: he slightly turned around and looked at him.
Dean felt a twinge... He smiled but his eyes were filled with doubts.
Castiel knew... He had that peculiar way of deciphering Dean's eyes.
He quickly got the picture of what was going on: Dean was out more often than usual.
Nevertheless, he had promised that he would never leave them... Dean smiled and his face brightened up.
Castiel would always be there, he would never lose him.
He felt selfish yet he couldn't help it. He needed Castiel around, close to him.
Castiel turned around again and listened to Jewel...His heart sank... He knew that day would come... He had just hoped.
He sighed... Whatever.
« C'mon Jewel... You're almost done... You have to know it for tomorrow, remember? Think about Friday night, ok? » He said, gently stroking her cheek.
« But it's difficult »
« I know, Sweetie, but look... only three more lines to go»
« I'm tired» she pouted.
« You know what? » he gently raised her chin and forced her to look at him.
She waited for the answer.
« We'll walk Apache for a little while and then we're treat ourselves with an ice cream at the Park. Then we'll come back and go on with our little poem? How's that sound? »
« Sounds perfect » she was all smiles.
« Good. Go get your coat »
She jumped from her seat.
« There's no denying there... You really have a way with the kids...» Dean said as he walked closer.
« Obviously, I'm definitely better with them than with adults » Castiel forced himself to laugh, although his face was exempt from joy.
An uncomfortable silence grew between them. He stood up and almost bumped in Dean, standing in front of him, not moving an inch.
« Cass » he said, looking down.
« Listen, Dean... Halloween is in two days... I still need to find a suitable costume, and so do you, and hopefully not a silly one, this time » he tried to smile. « We'll talk about it later, 'cause right now, I... I don't feel like discussing this» his voice was hoarse, even a bit more than usual.
« I understand... » he felt stupid, not knowing what to do with his arms or hands.... Too close from him.
« No, you don't » Castiel whispered with sadness in his tone, putting a hand on Dean's chest and gently pushing him away.
Dean felt his heart beating faster and reluctantly stepped one step back.
« What do you mean, I don't? » he asked, raising eyebrows.
« Nothing » Castiel answered, adopting a fake thoughtlessness.
Dean watched him as he left the kitchen. He looked down at his own chest and remembered the feeling of Castiel's hand on his heart.
He vigorously rubbed his face...
One day, he would introduce Lisa to the family... but not now... nobody was ready for this... Let alone him.