The hill

Dean was sitting at the kitchen table with his head leaning on the palm of his hands. He was lost in his thoughts and didn't hear him come in.
« Hello, Dean ».
He startled and almost spilled the content of his mug.
« Dammit, Cass... You know I hate it when you do that! » he said, straightening his back.
Castiel put out a smile, although he was in pain and holding his ribs.
« How are you holding up? »
« Just fine » Castiel headed for the coffee machine.
« Sit down... I'll take care of it » Dean said as he rose from his chair.
« Dean » Castiel turned around and looked daggers at him.
« That's enough. I told you I'm fine. So gimme a break and let me do this by myself, ok? »
« But... »
« SIT DOWN! » Castiel ordered him, frowning.
« All right, chill out » Dean grumbled.
Castiel poured himself some coffee and sat on the chair facing Dean. He couldn't help wincing. Dean stared at him.
Castiel had been released about a week before. Dr Gabriel was pleased with the clinical course and had authorized his patient to go back home provided he would avoid all unnecessary efforts for a while.
Castiel promised he'd rather comply with any recommendation than stay one more week in this hospital room... Besides, Dean had sworn to look after him.
« I don't doubt it for a second» the doctor had replied with a smile.

Castiel was working as a computer specialist. Thus, he managed to reorganize his working time and work from home on minor projects... Greg came every other day, or set up video conferences. No matter what, since the aggression, he was feeling guilty.
The men who had brutally assaulted his friend and colleague had managed to attend the exhibition without clearance. He was mad at himself for lacking attention and for the consequences it had entailed.
Castiel tried to convince him it wasn't his fault, yet Greg was worrying sick.
Besides, the police investigation was leading nowhere. A first name, a few descriptions were obviously not enough to build up a case. The police officers suggested that the perpetrators were most probably from out of town.
« Sounds like you don't give a shit » Dean was really pissed.
« Mr Winchester, rest assured that we are doing everything we can to find them ; you need to be aware that we are dealing with dozens of cases like this every week.»
« That's because you suck at doing your job properly... When I fix a car, it doesn't show up again the week after. »
Castiel did his best to calm him down, in vain; Dean was furious. Mad at the police but also mad at Castiel who seemed to step back a bit too much.
« Dammit Cass! They could've killed you!... The next victim may not be so lucky... We can't just sit there and do nothing about it ! »

Dean watched him sip his coffee. Since the aggression, Castiel's eyes were often out of focus and Dean didn't like it. He wanted his friend start talking, expressing what he was felt inside, but Castiel was inevitably responding that he was fine. And the more he said it, the more Dean was convinced otherwise.
He finally mentioned it to Balty, but the latter didn't get more response from his friend. Castiel would simply refuse to talk, period.
The only information they knew about the assault was in the police report they'd read; the rest was lost somewhere in their friend's empty eyes.
The only moments there seemed to be a shining light on his face was when the children were around, most probably because they were behaving with him as if nothing happened: Chadwick, because he was willingly hiding his feelings, which Dean didn't like at all; and Jewel because Castiel was back home and in her mind, everything was back to normal.
Jo kept driving the children to school, as Castiel couldn't drive yet.
She was feeling helpless, as a witness to the heavy silence that was undermining the bond within this ordinary family.
She encouraged Bobby to spend the next week-end with them.

www

Dean caught him in a private conversation with Castiel more than once, and in those moments, he could see a faint smile on Castiel's lips.
« Bobby... How is he doing? What did he tell you? » Dean questioned him, feeling completely lost.
« My boy, you need to learn that a frontal attack isn't necessarily the best attitude to solve a problem... Castiel just went through an ordeal that hurt more than his body... If they had attacked him to rob him or because of a wrong word, he would have recovered already... He was assaulted because of what he is... because of his choices... He is both afraid and angry... He needs time to figure it all out... Speak with him about everything except this subject and you'll see that he will open up, because he won't be able to keep the distress locked inside for much longer... Trust me... Let him breathe... He knows he can count on you, he isn't just ready yet, got it? »
« I can't stand watching him sinking like this, Bobby » he said, looking down.
« I believe Castiel isn't the only one who needs to talk... » He looked at Chadwick who was playing with Apache.
« I know... But he's as secretive as Cass »
« Just as you are, for all that matters. »
« Come again? »
« Don't try to fool me Dean, OK ? »
« I'm so tired, Bobby » he said, leaning on the doorway.
« I know, Son » he replied, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.
« Why don't you come over next week-end ? To take your mind off things... »
« Yeah... Maybe... I'll think about it »
« There's nothing to think about!... I'll deal with Castiel and convince him to come »
« Bobby »
« Don't you -Bobby- me... Either you come to my place or I'll drag your sorry ass myself»
« Drag what, Uncle Bobby? » Jewel asked as she joined them in the kitchen.
« Would you like to come over next week-end? »
The little girl's eyes started to sparkle.
« Will I see Sally's baby? »
« Yes, you'll see Sally's baby. »
« That's great! » she said as she jumped in excitement. Jewel seemed to be the only one to be rejoice.
Chadwick barely asked whether Apache would be part of the team.
Bobby had to try four times before Castiel finally accepted his invitation.
Balty wouldn't be part of the journey... He had to work.
« I'd like to point out that I don't make a living with my gorgeous body only, unlike certain people like to imagine » he argued with a wink at Dean.
« Who ever talked about a gorgeous body? » Dean snapped back, wide-eyed.
« If you want, I can show you my beautiful body right now » he said as he started to undress and get rid of his shoes, launching them across the room.
For the first time in weeks, there were laughters in the house. Even Castiel couldn't resist smiling at his lover's ramblings.