Part 28 - Problems

She was carefully pulling out the wild dandelions one by one, her eyes focused on them. She then heard someone calling out to her warmly.

“Come over here, my little princess! You will get your hands dirty if you keep doing that!”

She looked behind her to see a woman waving at her, beckoning for her to come. She could not see the woman’s face, but she knew it was someone familiar to her. She shook her head and gave the woman a smile.

“Not yet, Mama! I need to find more!” she replied and ‘Mama’ put her hands on her hips.

“That’s fine and all, but who’s going to eat all of these tuna sandwiches, which are your favourite?”

Hearing the mention of ‘tuna sandwiches’, she perked up and turned away from the wild dandelions.

“Mama! Wait! I’m hungry so don’t eat them all!” she yelled as she let go of the dandelions and ran towards ‘Mama’.

As she got closer to her, ‘Mama’ was smiling warmly at her and was chuckling. ‘Mama’ leaned over to her and wiped the dirt off of her face.

“My princess. My precious, princess Lillia” she said gently.

**********

Lillia opened her eyes with a gasp, a habit she had adopted without her realising it. A thought at the back of her mind screamed that it might have been from when she started living in the Sakamaki mansion. But that was something that she would have to think later.

Lillia felt something running down the side of her eyes to her ears and touched it without much of a thought. Her fingers gave her a sensation that it was something wet and it took her a few seconds to realise that it was her tears.

She studied the finger that had touched her tears and bit her lip. Why was I crying?

She knew the answer to the question. She always dreamt a bunch of nonsense that she will forget about it once she had woken up, but after her mother’s disappearance, there were times where she will dream about her mother, or rather the memories she had with her mother. But those were quite rare, since she always thought that by doing that, it meant that her mother was no longer in this world, and she didn’t want to believe that.

But it’s been a while since I dreamt something quite long ago. Why was it that?

“My princess” her mother’s voice echoed out of nowhere, sending a pang to her heart.

It’s been a long time since someone had called her with that pet name. Her mother loved calling her that when she was a young girl, but she stopped doing so when she entered middle school. Why was it that? 

Lillia shook her head, as if trying to block out her thoughts. I can ask her that once I see her once again.

Lillia sat up and took in her surroundings. She was in her bed, back in the Sakamaki mansion. After moments of blinking, Lillia gasped in realisation. She turned to look outside her window and saw that the sky was filled with streaks of orange. It’s almost the sunset.

The last thing Lillia remembered, it was nighttime before her world turned completely dark. She got out of her bed and paced around the room, trying to recollect her memories.

She was in the school classroom, trying though in vain, to deny Laito’s advances. The latter ignored her and sucked her blood, and when she thought he was going to go further than that, a woman came in and everything became blank after that.