Part 30 - The Others

He flicked his lighter open and then closed it again. He kept repeating the same action, even though he was holding a cigarette in his other hand, waiting to be lit. It was as if he was satisfied by just looking at the orange flame from the lighter. He did not have any desire to smoke at all, a rare occurrence in his life of being a heavy smoker.

Realising that the usual urge to smoke was not there, Hazuki tossed both the cigarette and the lighter on the table before leaning back into his chair. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He was trying to meditate.

It was raining outside, and he was supposed to hear the patter of the rain against the windows, but instead he could only hear his heartbeat. That indicated his meditation was starting. As he took another breath, he heard footsteps approaching his door.

He opened his eyes and let out a sigh.

I really can't have some peace around here anymore, huh, he thought wearily as he leaned out to grab his cigarette and lighter on the table.

Hazuki had already lit up the cigarette when the door opened.

"Hazuki"

It was Sei, who was drenched from head to toe by the rain. His light blonde hair was plastered to his face, which was unusually pale, Hazuki observed. Sei had always been pale, Hazuki thought, but tonight, he almost looked like a ghost. A ghost with an angry face, that is.

Sei's blue eyes were narrowed, his brow furrowed as he looked at Hazuki. Even if his eyes were half-hidden by his hair, it did not hide the intense anger reflected in Sei's eyes. If looks could kill, Hazuki would be six feet under with an axe lodged through his head.

"You look cold, Sei" Hazuki gave Sei a warm smile, hoping to somehow ease his friend's anger. It worked for the ladies, anyway. Sei did not reply as Hazuki stood up and walked over to his wardrobe and rummaging through the drawers, searching for a fresh dry towel for his cold and drenched friend.

Once Hazuki had found a suitable towel for Sei, he walked over to the latter and held it out to him. Sei did not even budge from his position. Just like earlier, he was still glaring at Hazuki. Hazuki sighed, clearly at wits end, but instead of giving up, he walked closer to Sei and placed the towel on Sei's head.

Hazuki's intention was to dry the man's hair himself, but before he could do anything, Sei raised his hand and grabbed the collar of Hazuki's shirt. Taken by surprise, Hazuki gasped as he moved forward towards Sei and saw Sei's free hand clenched into a fist.

Hazuki knew what was coming next.

Sei raised his fist and aimed it towards Hazuki's jaw, but before the hit connected, Hazuki sidestepped and grabbed Sei's collar instead. Hazuki used that moment to his advantage and pushed his friend against the door.

"You're 100 years too early to punch me in the face, Sei" Hazuki said with a mirthless chuckle. By now, Sei's eyes were fully covered by his hair, making it difficult for Hazuki to read Sei's expression towards his words. Sei's lips stretched into a smile, alarming Hazuki.

It was not the sight of Sei's smile that had alarmed Hazuki, but the change in the atmosphere. The room was already a bit cool due to cold weather outside, but the air around Hazuki was chilly. So chilly that he shivered to his bones.

"Sei, don't" Hazuki breathed, as his heartbeat started to quicken and he took a step back. But he was already too late. Hazuki tried to take another step back, but his leg was heavy and would not budge.

As if he was paralysed.

"Shit" Hazuki managed to say before looking at Sei. Sei was rolling his shoulders back and massaging his neck. Hazuki swallowed, waiting for Sei's next move.