game over

The weekend went by as fast as the week did and soon I was back in history again.

We had a break right before maths so I sat down on a bench on my phone with Mikey as he copied my English homework that was due today.

"Hi Violet," I looked up to see Ruby standing in front of me.

"Hey," I was a bit surprised to see her.

"Can we talk?"

-

We walked downstairs to where the maths class was. There was a bench and a table by the class, and I let my feet dangle as I sat on the table. Ruby sat next to me, leaving a good amount of space between us.

We sat in silence for a while, then I realised she wasn't going to say anything, so I broke it.

"So what did you want to talk about?"

"Here's the thing," she sighed. "I know we haven't really been on speaking terms, but I don't want us go through the rest of high school on bad note,"

I scoffed quietly and looked away from her.

"So I think we should be friends again," she finally said.

I couldn't help but laugh a little. That was the question Calum and I had been waiting for.

"Why did we stop talking in the first place?" I asked her.

"I don't....I don't really know,"

"You lost interest in me, right? Everything we did was less interesting because Calum wasn't there,"

"That's not true, Violet."

"Really? So tell me why we don't talk or why your best friend is Laura and how it's so coincidental that you're talking to me when Calum's here?"

"I'm sorry, Vi."

"Thanks for the offer, Ruby," I hopped off the table. "But if you want to get close to Calum or any other guy for that matter, do it yourself,"

I walked away and made my way back to the lockers. I passed Laura who was leaning on one side against the wall, who may or may not have been eavesdropping.

"Don't worry," I said to her. "She's still all yours,"

She managed to give me a smile before she went to find Ruby.

"Hey, I've been looking for you," Calum said to me as I got my maths book.

"Yeah, sorry, Ruby wanted to talk to me," I replied, closing my locker.

"She did? What happened?"

"Well," I sighed.

"Let's just say, game over?"

-