Hope And Gracious Heavenly Father

Gilbert's POV

I felt Anne suddenly flinch and let go of me.

"He is holding my hand..." said Anne and I turned and looked at Matthew and she was right.

"He must of have been in a coma." I said excited.

Matthew was the best parent figure I've ever gotten, next to Marilla. Whilst, my parents were to busy fighting. They actually helped me with whatever I was going through.

"Thank you God." said Marilla as she started to laugh through her tears. Anne joining her immediately.

A FEW HOURS LATER

Me, Anne, Marilla and now Jerry were sitting outside of Matthew's room waiting for the doctor to finish.

When, the clock finally hit five in the morning. The doctor walked out.

We all immediately stood up and went towards him.

"He will be okay..." He smiled as we all left sighed of relief.

"C-can we see him?" asked Marilla.

"One at a time." said the doctor and Anne stepped away in order to let Marilla go first.

"Anne, you can go first, dear." said Marilla as she put a hand on her back.

Anne smiled widely and run up the stairs.

"She doesn't seem emotional ready to see him alone. Maybe, I can make an exception for that man to go as well." said the doctor as he looked at me and I run away not even thinking about it twice.

"Anne.....?" I asked as I saw her hand shaking as she hesitated to open the door.

She looked at me and I finally saw her teary red eyes.

"I-I..."

I held her left hand and wiped her tears.

"The doctor said that I can come in too." I said and I saw her smiling as she hugged me, saying a quiet...

"Thank you, Gil-boy."

I smiled and I turned to doorknob.

There he laid with a smile on his face.

"My little daughter and my little son." whimper Matthew as soon as he saw us.

"Matthew..." said Anne as she run to hug him.

"Anne, dear. How was your little adventure?" asked Matthew with a smile after Anne let go.

"It was... interesting." said Anne as she looked at me.

"Gilbert?" asked Matthew as I stood frozen.

"Gilbert?" asked Anne as she came towards me.

"You're alive. I-I. I saw you dead. I mean... That's what you were... I..." I whimpered as I run towards him and hugged him.

"You didn't think I would leave you so easily, now did you?" chuckled Matthew as Gilbert let go of the hug.

"All my parents care about are money. You and Marilla were the only people that actually cared about me. Not fight because of how much money you have or how to send me to college. You helped me, when I broke my arm or when I came from school and I got shouted by a teacher or even when me and Anne fought. I didn't know what it was like to have a parent since the day I met you." I said as I started to sob as I held his hand.

"Gilbert, son... Even if I did die. I would always be here for you." said Matthew as he pointed at my heart.

I looked at his state one more time and started to quietly laugh.

"I'm sure our Gracious Heavenly father knew that you are not done teaching me important life lessons yet." I said and Matthew patted my back.

Then, I felt someone sit next to me and put their head on my shoulder as the person held both mine and Matthew's hands.

"I'm glad I have you." whispered Anne to me and Matthew.

"Moi aussi." said Jerry shyly as he stood at the door with Marilla.

"What does it mean?" I asked, not having a clue about what Jerry said.

"It means 'me too'." explained Anne as she waved for Marilla and Jerry to join us.

Jerry sat at the very left, next to Gilbert who sat next to me whilst I sat next to Marilla. All of us five held hands. With smiles on our faces.

"I just realized something weird." said Matthew as he looked at us, perplexed.

"What?" asked Marilla, curiously. Happy that she could hear her brother's voice again.

"I call Anne my daughter, but if I want her to marry Gilbert I should call him 'Son in law'." said Matthew, thoughtfully.

"Me and Gilbert are just friends." said Anne, as she blushed

It didn't bother me that much that she said that, because since the whole carriage conversation. She seemed like she was second guessing myself.

"That's what Jerry said about Ruby. But, now he is basically treating her like a princess." said Matthew as he let go of our hands and patted Jerry on the head.

"It's because she is one." said Jerry as he blushing, furiously.

"A month ago, you were calling her. An annoying pink girl." I chuckled.

"A week ago, you and Anne hated each other." fired Jerry back and I raised my hands.

"True..." said Anne as she looked at the wall.

"I won, Jerry." I said, laughing.

"My drawing... The one Cole made. It's on the wall." said Anne as she teared up.

"I couldn't come to this room alone. It was too painful. So, I put this drawing on the wall. It gave me some hope. I guess I kept it there." said Marilla with a nod.

"Hold each other's hands." said Matthew as he interrupted before someone could say something else.

We did as we were told. I held Jerry's hand with my left one and Anne's with my right one. I smiled when I saw our fingers intertwined.

"I thank my Gracious Heavenly Father. For letting Matthew have a long life with the people he cherishes the very most. Amen." said Matthew and we all repeated.

There we were now... Five people and five heart beats. Holding each other's hand tightly. Not quite wanting to let go. In fear the we would lose each other again.

Am I the most unpredictable writer or what? 😂