Thirty-Five: For Tomorrow

Report: Fisk
The Ural Mountains.
Russia.
Mount Yamantau satellite tower #14.

The wind stung my face as I stared down through the hole in the tower wall, the cold only slightly numbing the throbbing pain in my shoulder.

I watched the United Korean Military as they levelled Frostpoint.

With the bulk of my forces bunched around the now-empty ramps, the squad of Xiezhi had struck far more efficiently than the insurgents they fought to defend. Already plumes of fire sprung from the top of Frostpoint's mighty platform—several Xiezhi had ascended the structure in record time, dashing through my disorganized opposition at lightning speed.

The destruction the silver mechs wrought was costly, but there was no victory for them to achieve here. They were only here to buy time—in moments they would eliminate the mechs that surrounded them and flee before reinforcements arrived. With no enemies nearby to attack their dropships, not a single Xiezhi would be left behind.

An ominous groaning noise echoed through the tower as the wind accosted it. Without a large portion of its wall, I was certain that Frostpoint would soon have one less satellite tower.

Was I still bleeding? I couldn't feel it anymore.

As I made my way down the remains of the metal staircase that had once occupied the tower's entrance, the sound of boots in the snow reached my ears.

A squadron of six soldiers sprinted up to the base of the tower, clad in body armour and tactical masks. At the head of the group was Captain Andros Oakley.

Oakley looked far worse for wear than when I had last seen him—the beginnings of a small beard covered the lower half of his face and his green eyes were clouded with worry.

"Draco!" he called, before seemingly remembering his position. "Director Fisk, you have to come with us. Without Killswitch active this area is unsafe."

I waved off the nearest soldier as I stepped down into the snow.

"The Koreans will depart momentarily. Frostpoint will remain under our control."

If Andros had any hidden doubts about my statement, his face didn't betray them.

I began the long, slow walk back towards Frostpoint, with Andros and my escort trailing behind. In the distance, the squadron of Xiezhi had almost finished mopping up the last of my forces—the Erebus had given them momentary trouble, but a signal deadener could only be so useful against mounted lasers.

I glanced across the plateau—the red shell of the original stealth mech lay cooling in the snow. Having already recreated its ability with the Erebus, there wasn't much knowledge I could gain from its carcass.

My thoughts drifted to the mech's pilot, son of the thief and traitor I had wasted so many weeks hunting. Although Jackson had easily played into my trap, the intelligence in his eyes worried me. I hadn't wanted to release him from my grasp, but I lacked the strength to fight him again.

My shoulder throbbed, an ever-present reminder of our conflict. I knew that the only thing keeping me standing was the last remnant adrenaline in my body.

I'd seen the look on Quinn's face. What Killswitch had done had shattered him.

What I had done.

I ground my teeth, fighting back a sudden burning, roiling feeling in my very core. To direct a war from a distance was one thing, but to consciously kill had turned out to be far more difficult than I had anticipated. Perhaps I was also feeling fear—the massacre I had initiated gave Axion's enemies a powerful martyr.

No.

I clenched my fist, pushing back these thoughts. What I had done had been necessary. Logical. I hadn't intended Killswitch to be used on command capsules—it had been a discovery in the heat of the moment.

Their blood was not on my hands.

I had discovered a powerful weapon, one that would end the war with Russia in a week. What was so bad about using it?

I smiled, feeling better, and that was when I finally heard Andros calling out to me.

"Director Fisk?"

I turned to see that both Andros and my escort were now several yards to my left. In my stupor, I hadn't noticed my path curving to the right—away from Frostpoint and toward the edge of the plateau.

"Yes, sorry," I snapped. I spun around and made my way back towards the group, trying to force away the burning in my cheeks. The unreadable masks of my escort helped lessen my embarrassment, but I could see that Andros was failing to hide his concern.

Captain Andros Oakley. The only soldier in the entire company that I truly trusted.

What did he think about the actions I had taken today? I couldn't see a hint of disapproval in his eyes, but there was no trace of satisfaction, either. If he had been in my position, would he have—

A distant humming interrupted my thoughts.

With the aid of Andros, I scrambled up the rocky slope that marked the sunken section of the plateau. In the distance, the sky was suddenly filled with uncloaked dropships. They swept across the facility, snatching up the silver Xiezhi before fading into the cloudy sky.

As the Korean forces departed, Frostpoint burned. I could hear the distant din of fire alarms and see small figures already racing to put out the blazes.

I frowned. This was what we were up against. I wasn't proud of what I had done, but I had to believe that it was necessary. An entire country counted on me to win their war in any way possible—that meant dealing with smaller threats as efficiently as possible.

We were at war. Death today meant peace for tomorrow.

Besides, with the testing of Killswitch complete, it was finally time to end the Iron War.

I'd come this far, hadn't I? There was no turning back now.

I turned to Andros, who, until now, had remained silent beside me, watching Frostpoint burn.

"What is it, sir?" he inquired.

"Contact the Frontier Outpost," I replied. "It's time to launch Project Terminus."