Twenty-Three: Unfinished Business

I watched in horror as Kedrick's command capsule shot into the sky. So much for plan B.

"Oh Jax," a mocking singsong voice crooned, "we have unfinished business!"

"Harlow is here!" Kitt shouted. "How did a mech that large sneak up on me?"

"Doesn't matter," I replied. "Taewi, see if you can keep him busy. I'll try to lose these Apollo!"

The remaining six Apollo were closing in on my position. They were getting smarter, herding me in the direction they wanted by advancing on me from different sides. Every so often a mech would drop back and fire a shot or two of compressed air, keeping me from travelling in one direction for too long.

"Jax!" Alyx shouted. "Swing down the closest street to the edge of the district. Lay 'em out and I'll blast a few away!"

"But the Legion!" I protested. "If you step out of cover to shoot it'll take you out!"

"No time, Jax!" Alyx roared. "My Lynx can take a lick or two, if not I'll just come back in something bigger!"

"Harlow's headed your way!" Taewi warned me. "I can't stall him for long!"

Throwing caution to the wind I sprinted around a corner and out onto the edge of the mining district. There were no buildings to protect me out here, only the iron tracks of an empty railyard and a steep drop to my right where the river once flowed.

Several large cranes towered over the railyard, easily twice the height of my Crusader.

"Okay, Alyx," I called, "let's see how many mechs you can hit."

"Mechs?" Alyx scoffed. "Who said I was aiming for the mechs?"

A single howitzer shot echoed out over the river, sending a shell hurtling my way. Behind me, the Apollo were gaining ground—with no building to weave between they were at an advantage.

Alyx let out a cry of alarm as her Lynx was blown apart by a volley of cannon fire courtesy of the Legion. Her command capsule soared into the sky just as her final howitzer shell struck the base of one of the massive railyard cranes.

"Oh, not again!" I shouted. I'd had enough of objects falling towards me.

Fortunately, the crane tumbled away from me and towards the edge of the mining district, kicking up a flurry of rust flakes. The tower crashed into the rough concrete with a terrible screech, efficiently cutting the Apollo off from me. They would have to find another way around the railyard—and in this mess of buildings, that would take time.

"You're brilliant, Alyx," I beamed. "Taewi, get in position. We'll take Harlow out together!"

"He's coming to you, Jax!" Taewi replied. "That Goliath of his is powerful—I had to retreat before he could finish my Veles off!"

"How close is he?" I asked. A shadow fell over me, blotting out the railroad tracks below my Crusader's metal feet. "Ah, blast it. I shouldn't have asked."

The Goliath hit like a dropped anchor, coming down out of its jump atop my Crusader's flat shoulders. My mech groaned under the crushing weight and the wail of an alarm filled my capsule.

My shield was my saviour—the Goliath slid down my front in a shower of sparks, unable to remain atop me. A torrent of bullets pounded against my armour, accompanied by Harlow's crazed shouting.

"You're a hypocritical one, aren't you?" Harlow roared. He sounded unhinged. "You act high and mighty and then don't hesitate to try to drop another building on my men!"

Harlow's Goliath was as unsubtle as he was, bristling with no fewer than six railguns. The Goliath was a lead hose—an endless stream of bullets pounded at me from all angles.