Day 37 - Jess

She awoke to the deafening silence of the outdoor deck. Nothing but the flock of birds and the gentle lake breeze to slowly wake her senses before she came to and realized that she had fallen asleep outside. 

Mayfield!

         She quickly remembered, hurrying to her feet as the brutal hangover hit her like a ton of solid gold bricks straight to the face. The memories from the night before all came crashing back in an instant like the tidal waves against the shore. 

         A silent smile crept over her as it slowly dawned on her that she'd finally achieved the courage to admit how she really felt to Lacey - even before she could fully admit it to herself.

         Wait? Where was she? She began to wonder as she headed back into the house. The place felt even quieter as a sense of panic washed over her. 

         "Mayfield?" She shouted out, loud enough to have woken the neighbours - had there been any around to hear. "Where are you?"

         Searching eachroom frantically one by one to find that each one turned up empty, she finally stumbled into the kitchen where the mugs half filled with hot chocolate were still sitting on the countertop beside a folded up piece of paper and a set of car keys on a pink dangly keychain. 

         Unfolding the page, she could feel her heart literally sinking to the bottom of her chest as she read and re-read the words, slowly realizing that Lacey had left; correction - ran. 

         The mascara-stained tears began to flow from her eyes as they dripped onto the page before her. She had everything she'd ever wanted - and so much more - just the night before, and now, it was nothing more than a distant memory - one that Lacey would be sure to deny were the truth to ever surface. 

         How could she? Jessica kept repeating to herself as she held onto the note for dear life. Suddenly, a voice popped into her head and in the moment, she knew exactly what she had to do. Grabbing the keys from the counter, she gathered the rest of her things and sprinted out to the car, still parked exactly where they had left it less than 24 hours ago. 

         Frankie had a point, she thought to herself as she started the engine up. If there was one thing right I could do in this world, it would be to fight for that damn girl!

         And with that, she pulled out of the gravel driveway and began racing against the clock to chase down the truest love she had ever known.