Day 60 - Lacey

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. What the hell was that? Did I just interrupt her... doing it, with that girl? ... Ugh. Never mind. Breath Lacey, breathe. They're probably just, really good friends is all... Seriously Lace? Ok. Maybe not. But whatever, it's none of my business. Just pretend like nothing ever happened...

Exactly. Nothing happened.

It wasn't until a lady from across the street motioned to me if I was alright before I realized that I had been pacing. I smiled back, gesturing that I was fine and then promptly got inside my car, turning on the A/C to full blast once I had shut the door beside me. Daniel never told me she was... I mean, he never really hid the fact that there had been women in Jess' life, but it's not like he ever confirmed it either. But whatever, it's not like it bothers me or anything. It's just, a little heads up would've been nice!

Knock. Knock.

"Oh my god!" I turned to face the silhouette standing outside my window, recognizing it the instant I rolled down the glass. "Jess," I said somewhat out of breath, "you almost gave me a heart attack."

"So..." she pulled down her sunglasses to look at me properly through the tiny crack I had left for her at the top of the tinted window, "I guess we're taking your car?"

The drive to the boutique was long and uncomfortable as Jess hid behind her shades - though I was almost positive that she had fallen back asleep the second she sat down. I reached over to turn on the radio in an attempt to distract my thoughts from Carla or Casey, or whomever that was in her bed this morning, but got shut down the second the station settled.

"If you're trying to kill me slowly, playing this shit'll do it," she grunted as she immediately moved to change the station.

"She lives." I said almost startled, keeping my eyes on the road.

"And here I was, under the impression you thought sarcasm was a candy."

She was quick and annoying with an answer for everything. What Daniel chose to see in her, I will never understand. The awkward silence lingered as I waited patiently for her to choose a station.

"So..." she started, still fidgeting with the tuner. "What kinda music are you into anyway?" What was this? Was she trying to get a rise out of me? Was she just asking so she could make fun of my response? Was she trying to find common ground? As I mulled over various reasons for her asking of the question, I sadly realized how dysfunctional this was.

"Is this you trying to make small talk?" I chose to say jokingly instead, reading her expression through my peripheral vision.

"No... I just-" wait a minute, did she just get embarrassed? "-figured that there had to be something that was normal about you." Her comfort level shifted, but her body remained still. Of course she had to turn it around into something sarcastic. God forbid she show any sign of vulnerability - let alone admit that she actually had anything to be vulnerable about. Stuck on the tuner that was now going on its third-or-so loop around the stations, she continued to fidget with the tuner impatiently awaiting my response.

"Country," I finally said, smiling with my eyes still fixed on the road.

She turned to look at me, almost surprised by my words but not by my response. I could see a slight grin play into the side of her lips as she looked back down at the radio display and finally settled on a tune. I watched her lean back from the corner of my eye with a satisfied look. She silently placed her sunglasses back over the hazel-brown eyes that were still partially covered in last night's makeup, and shifted her gaze towards the window.