Catering

Veronica immediately started working when she came for college in the States.  Vero liked so much working in the kitchen under the wing of her British boss preparing food and serving it at this posh club located at the college where invited profs and others lodged and dined.

Vero did not care really for the guests including one who called her baby.  She felt this camaraderie with her boss in the kitchen.  Veronica also met other friends via her jobs in culinary adventures and jobs at the college.  It was Sena from Turkey who managed a catering event at the school cafeteria that was transformed each weekend to candlelit tables served by waitresses like Vero who worked under Sena.  Sent lives in Washington DC now managing theatrical productions.

Veronica also worked at a sidetracks cafe near the college.  That's where she made healthy chicken and tuna sandwiches with celery and sprouts besides gyro and chicken ones.  The owner was a friendly Jewish woman, Julia, whose husband was a school principal.  Julia urged Veronica to focus on her studies instead of working long hours at the cafe.  "Woud you want to end up like me," Julia said to Veronica. Michael, Veronica's co-worker and college mate who was coming to terms with his sexual difference of homosexuality, he was good to Vero and kept her cat, Brando, in his dorm room until the housekeeper found out.

Finally, Veronica's Brtish boss, Elisabeth, stood up for Veronica when she was not paid her hours.  They were paid by an alumna who worked at the basement of the administrative building.  Vero can never forget how she called the police on her during spring break when Vero was at her dorm room the first day of the break.  That woman gave Vero a shining smile years later.  Mom always advised Veronica to watch out for women smiling at her and lesbians crossing her sexual boundaries.