Number 18

The shuffling of our feet on the ashy ground was leaving the sparks to flutter into our eyes and hair. We were running, as fast as we could. The houses had begun collapsing, and some had fallen in the street, trees were falling, it was getting harder and harder to walk in the town. We were racing with the flames, my eyes hurt so bad and I couldn't breathe. Everyone was right behind me, I made sure that no one was left behind. When I looked back to where I was running, I decided it would be best to just take a sharp turn here. I turned right real quick, and before I knew it, we were almost out of town, one lousy turn here, and a sharp turn here. We were so tired, eventually Evelyn gave out, she stopped running and stopped to catch her breath, Daniel was the first to notice. He skidded to a stop, grabbing her arm trying to force her up.

He couldn't use words, none of us could. They were just sitting there, his legs gave out and he fell on his back. The smoke was everywhere, I could barely see them, now of course we had stopped, Number 1 stopped and grabbed Anthony's arm who had fell when he stopped, tripping over something. Number 1 looked down after helping him up, it was a sewer cover that had lifted up a little, Anthony had kicked it open. Number 1 jumped into action, I nodded to her, showing that I saw her, She helped Anthony into the hole, then jumped down herself.

I ran over to Daniel and Evelyn, "Get up! I need your help, I can't drag you both other there at once, we're getting out of the smoke!" I was amazed I could talk. Daniel pushed himself up, I pulled Evelyn to her feet, Daniel ran next to me as I helped Evelyn. I helped her down the hole, Daniel was the last one at the top, everyone was at the bottom except him, "Hurry!" I yelled to him.

He just stood there, then walked out of view, I hustled up the ladder, before I could reach the top I heard a screeching noise. The light began to fade, he was closing the hole. I went to grab it to push it away, but then he came back into view slowly stepping in. I felt so stupid, he was just getting the cover. I went back down, he closed it completely then climbed down.

"You're not getting rid of me that easy." He chuckled.

"I thought you were like having one of those moments where you're all sentimental and freaking out!" I yelled at him.

He smirked in the darkness, "Hell no, I'm not one of those sappy people."

I relaxed and sat down against the stone wall, "I can't believe we just came down here," Anthony spoke up, "It's nasty, and we have no idea what's down here."

"Well, we had no other option, Number 1 had to do something quick or else we'd be dead." Evelyn said.

A loud banging noise shook the walls from above, little specks of dust fell down from the hole, "Well, it's a good thing we came down here when we did, or else we might have been crushed in that."

It was officially dark now, I couldn't even see my hand, we gathered up, and decided we should try to walk around, I fell into the sewage and nearly puked, so we ended up walked along the wall. We went the brighter direction, it wasn't that much brighter, but, it was something. We were trying to follow the light, I felt like we had died and we were following the light to heaven.

It was getting so hot it burned our skin, now it felt like the sun. "What is this heat! I thought we came down here to not catch on fire!" Daniel whined.

"I don't know what to tell you." I said. I was in the front again. What the hell could be up ahead, I didn't really want to find out but we had no other leads on where to go, this was the best route at the time. So we continued, on and on. Soon enough we were surrounded by a blinding bright light that was scorching my skin and eyes. I could no longer see the dark tunnel. I wanted to close my eyes and get on my hands and knees and crawl.