Chapter 42: Burden

"How are you feeling now?"

"Good but I can handle myself you know."

"Yeah I can see that."

"Hey..I'm not on talking terms with you right now."

"I said I'm sorry."

I was currently in Landon's house. After that incident he took me to the nurse and then after finishing his classes he took me to his home.

We chatted whole afternoon that I didn't noticed time. I was doomed. Katherine would kill me but thinking about the maids Justin sent over a tear slipped from my eyes.

Why did he do that.

I catched feelings for him and now he just back to his old bullying arrogant egoist self again.

I was relieved that Landon my best friend was back.

"So tell me what happened at school? Does it happens often?" He was calm.

He took care of me so well and even cooked me a meal.

Ring..ring. .. my cell rang.

Thank god! Saved by the phone.

I looked at the screen for few seconds before pressing the green button.

"Where are you..come home ASAP." Katherine sounded furious.

What happened now?

I don't want to make her any angrier.

I took my back pack,"gotta go..see you later."

"I'll drop you..wait a minute."

"Landon its not a good idea..you're my teacher. We can't be seen together."

"Yeah..take care of your self chubby bear. And don't forget I'm just a call away." He said giving me a bone crashing hug.

"Sure...see ya." I left and went down the path. Landon just happens to stay in my neighborhood. How cool.

I stopped when I saw someone's car parked on roadside of our house.

Who's car is this?

Must be Katherine's guest.

I took a long breath and entered the house. The house smelt delicious. The smell of food from kitchen was making me hungry. My stomach growled.

"Look who's here."
I heard Katherine's mocking voice. I turned to see Katherine with a older man he was maybe around 70.

"I'm sorry mother." I said lowering my head.

Tears were building inside my eyes as I recalled my childhood.

"I'm not your mother, don't you dare to call me your mother. She's dead." That was Katherine's exact words back when she just married my dad.

I didn't called her mother after that. But one day out of blue she said to call her mother but as naive as I was she just wanted to show my father that how good she was to me. Whenever we were alone she said the exact words 'I'm not your mother. I would never want such brat to be mine. EVER. '

I used to call her mother only in front of dad and in front of outsiders. She suggested that.

After dad's death she treated me even worse and said to call her mother in front of outsiders only.

She doesn't want to be my mother. She would always be my step mother.

Step mother. Strange. She doesn't even show the slightest concern for me. She treats me like I'm her slave.

"Katherine..stop that nonsense. She looks fragile and she just got here. Cut her some slack dear." The man sounded genuine.

I looked at him. He wore an expensive suit and had slightly grey hairs. The dye was fading at the sides. His eyes were hazel and had wrinkles all over his temple and cheeks.

"Hello dear. I'm Ronald nice to meet you." He hugged me I was stunned but his hug felt so fatherly.

When he released me I greeted him." Nice to meet you Mr.Ronald."

"Hah..don't be formal sweetheart. We would soon be a family. Just call me Ronald."

What does he mean?

I looked at Katherine who just took hold of my hands and dragged me upstairs after saying a quick excuse me to Ronald.

"Hah..please mother let go."

"How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not your mother." She threw me on the cold floor when we reached her room.

"Sorry." I apologized quickly lowering my head

That hurts. I know she is not my mother. She could never be one.

My mom was very kind and caring not at all like Katherine and that's why dad married her. I know he was so devastated at that time that he burned almost everything related to mom but I was able to save some of souvenirs. That's why he married Katherine. She was exact opposite of what my mom was.

He loved mom so much that he was so hurt and drown in his own misery that he married someone like Katherine.

I still couldn't believe his choice. She was nothing but devil.

"Listen you bitch loud and clear that I won't carry burden like you. We are out of money already and i can't afford your expenses anymore." She started.

My expenses?

Is she talking about me.

I don't remember her giving me anything. I work and got even scholarship so I won't be any burden to her. She didn't gave me any money after my dad died. He even left me lots of shares but Katherine took all of it.

"Your getting married end of this month." She stated.

"What?" I choked.

"You heard me."

"You can't do this to me."

"I can and I did. Ronald is the uncle of your future husband. Its fixed already. Your getting married and you have no say in it. Besides they will provide us luxury. You have no use to this house. You don't belong here. At least to pay us you could do this simple thing."

"I'm not gonna marry anyone Katherine." I raised my voice.

I won't. I won't. I won't. I kept saying.

"How dare you?" She slapped my both cheeks and left.

"I hope you get the worst." Her words were sharp.

How could she do that to me. I'm not a burden. I'm not.

My future. I wanted to choose it myself.

And now I don't even have a say in it.