Chapter 4

Work had been tough on you the next day, you couldn't quite think straight and typing amounts of money into the computer all day had got you into trouble, as misplacing a decimal point was causing confusion for the accountants. Another thing which was making it worse was Sam was at your friends this week, because you had decided to take on the later shifts and you knew full well it would mean you'd have to put up with Loki on your own didn't help either. The fact that also on the way home the the heavens had opened and had left you looking like a drowned sewer rat hit the nail on the head, so when you were greeted at your own front door by Loki as you had anticipated you had literally lost all hope on the day ever getting better.

"You look...wet." Loki commented on your entry.

"Wow your observational skills are far greater than any of those on Midgard," you said sarcastically, huffing through the door-frame and frowning at your own face in the mirror.

"Sarcasm?" He asked shutting the door behind you.

"When did it become..." you thought of the word while you fiddled trying to undo your double knotted shoelaces and failing, "normal, for a complete stranger..." you were getting angry now you could have just caved in and broke into tears on the floor, but 'he' was there, "to answer my..." at that point you gave up fiddling and tried yanking the boot off, "ugh!" You almost shouted really irritated now. You realised then that Loki had been stood watching you for a while quietly, which seemed strange as he'd usually be the first to taunt you. But in the second you were about to contemplate taking a knife to your foot to get it over with Loki's delicate fingers stretched to your feet and easily untangled the knot and slipped it off.

"Err...Thanks." you said after a large sigh.

"Wow you do actually know how to be polite," he smirked taking your jacket off your shoulders and hanging it up.

"Likewise," you smirked moving into the living room, "Loki?"

"Yes pet?" He said following you in and leaning on the door-frame.

"Please don't call me that," you asked more polite than you had wanted to, "what do you do all day when I am away?"

"If I told you love, you wouldn't want to keep me here," he said moving out of the doorway.

You sighed and muttered under your breath so as to keep it from Loki, most likely failing, "I don't." After a moment of awkward silence you turned to face him for the first time in the conversation, "tell me."

"Are you sure you want to know, the...whole truth?" He asked staring at you sternly as he edged closer and closer.

"So there are several matters of "truth" you are keeping from me?" You didn't move your eyes from his gaze once.

"Protecting you." He explained stopping in front of you and keeping his gaze fixed on you also.

"Manipulating" you corrected.

He laughed slightly as if to confirm it for you, and before you let him talk any further you urged him to explain, "I won't run. If you tell me the truth of why two super heroes turned up at my door yesterday, if you tell me the truth as to why you chose my house, chose to manipulate me...I promise I won't turn you over."

He stayed silent and his eyes left yours, he seemed afraid to tell you the truth.

"Why won't you tell me! You of all people know how it feels to be kept in the dark! I've read the stories, I know Loki, how Odin always favored Thor." You began before being interrupted.

"_____ I don't want to lose you, I have lost everyone." Loki replied seeming somewhat genuine?

"You never had me in the first instance!" You said harshly letting sanity overcome you, though deep down you knew there was something between you, you knew that you had contemplated putting a label on one of your feelings for Loki breaking in to be 'glad' of the excitement.