Chapter 11- Men

The sky was filled with smoke and ash. Queen Violet was barking orders, "Some get some water on those homes!" Just as they ran to get the water a flaming ball came flying towards them. "No!" Queen Violet yelled and her hands glowed. The flaming ball stopped mid air. I could see the Queen visibly struggling to maintain the magic. She pushed her hands forward and the ball went flying back towards the catapult it had flown from. The men surrounding it all started running but not away. They ran towards the town where most of the warriors waited. I watched them fight, the other people were mostly men and they were greatly outnumbered. I had moved closer to watch, the Queen was trying to help on both ends of the battle. Not only with the fighting but with the flames that had spread across the outermost houses. 

She was so distracted that when the second catapult had fired it hit the castle before she knew it had been fired. She did her best to keep the rubble from falling on her warriors, but even I could tell she was expending too much magic. She looked exhausted and was shaking as she struggled to hold the pieces of the castle's walls from crushing people. They were running trying to get out of the way, that's when a large group of the rebels turned their bows on her. She was just barely able to set the ruble down safely when they released the arrows. Her hands flew in front of her the arrows stopped in mid air. Before she could do anything else a man almost seemed to appear behind her, a dagger in hand. Before I had even made the conscious decision I was moving forward, hoping I couldn't make it in time.

***

"He's hopeless, isn't he?" Queen Vivian laughed as she watched Aldrin stumbling around. Some of the warriors were using him for target practice, he was running around the field holding a shield as they shot arrows at him. Most hit the shield no problem only a few missed and that was only when he tripped suddenly. Vivian seemed highly amused with it. She sat in the Queen's box on her throne, she wore a strapless deep crimson satin gown with a slit that went clean up her thigh.

"Why is he back here I thought he had been moved to the castle?" Irene asked, she was standing next to the throne wearing intricate pale pink and gold armor. "Irene darling why don't you go join them, so them how to really shoot an arrow." Vivian said with a wicked smile, "Yes my Queen," Irene said and started heading towards the stairs, "Why are you taking the stairs darling, why not make a dramatic entrance?" Vivian said, though it sounded more like an order than a question. Irene nodded and with a wave of her hand her feet glowed, she jumped off the balcony and landed like a feather on the ground. All the warriors stopped shooting at once and bowed their heads respectfully. Irene walked over to the only warrior her height.

"May I?" She asked with a soft smile. The woman blushed and held out the weapon, Irene gently took the bow and arrows from the woman. Irene sling the arrows over her shoulder and pulled one out. She drew it back, Aldrin had paused watching Irene with interest. "Don't stop now Aldrin you wimp. Keep running," Vivian practically laughed, though she spoke softly her voice carried through the field with a power all it's own. He immediately slumped behind the shield and began running. Irene took a deep breath and shot the first arrow. "Bulls eye," one whispered. "Show me something more interesting." Vivian said, Irene nodded and closed her eyes shooting arrow after arrow. She only missing one. Vivian had waved her hand ever so slightly with a smirk. Aldrin's feet glowed for less than a second but it was enough, he tripped dropping the shield. His hand flew to his arm were an arrow was stuck in it. The shield rolled away and fell showing off a perfect heart shape made of arrows. Vivians laugh was so wickedly sweet that it made even the hair on Irene's arm stand on end. 

"See now was that interesting." She laughed, "Well then I guess we're done for today," Vivian said everyone started to leave, Irene turned to leave as well. "Irene how about you treat the pathetic males wounds, after all it was your fault. Don't be long though, darling." Vivian said before flicking her hair over her shoulder and walking away. Irene bowed as the Queen left. She turned slowly back to Aldrin, walking up to him as if he was a scared animal. "Well let's get you cleaned up." She said softly, "What's the point?" He said rolling onto his back looking up at the blue sky. She crouched down next to him. "Do you wish to live forever with an arrow in your arm?" She asked, he turned his head slightly to look up at her. "Yes," he smirked, it took her a second to realize he was being sarcastic. She laughed, "Come on let's go," she smiled holding her hand out to help him up. "Very well then," he said taking her hand. Her hand was so cold and his so warm.

***

I screamed as a sharp pain spread through my shoulder, without thinking I held his hand tightly trying to keep him from pulling the knife out. I was unsuccessful he was stronger, another scream escaped my lips as the blade left my shoulder. I held tightly to his hand, digging my nails in his skin making him drop the knife. He had a deep tan, he tall and visibly strong wearing only minor armor. The armor itself looked like it had been pulled from a scrap metal heap, tarnished and bent all over. He had mid length dark hair nearly black, only a small patch of white grew from his widows-peak. He had a strong jaw line and a nose that looked like it had been broken more than once, a long scar across his nose that looked fairly new. He glared down at me in surprise with his clear gray eyes. The dagger was lovely though it was covered in my blood. The handle was rose gold and covered in gems, carved to look like a dragon head. Only one of the sapphire eyes was missing. The blade was wavy and had a script I couldn't read carved into it.

The twin guards were at his sides in an instant pulling him away from me as I let go of his hand. I saw all the other outcasts turned tail and ran. Queen Violet turned in surprise, "You saved me?" She said crouching beside me. "I couldn't just let you die." "Your highness what shall we do with him?" one guard asked, "He tried to commit treason kill him." They threw him to the ground and pulled out their swords. I panicked, "NO!" I shouted and sucked in a sharp breath in pain as I rushed to kneel between them and the man. "Don't kill him," "But he nearly killed you," Violet said, "Don't stoop to his level, death shouldn't be the only option." I said, she glowered before sighing. "You have saved my life and therefore by the laws of this land I am bound to you until the debt is repaid. So as a favor to you I shall spare this man's life for now. Girls take him to the dungeon while I think of what to do with him." They bowed and grabbed the man again. He struggled, but no matter how strong he was they were even more so. "Now then as for let get you to Magi she'll be able to fix you right up." She helped me up and back into the castle as the other warriors finished putting out the last of the fires.

***

"You're like a child," Irene laughed as she cleaned the blood from Aldrin's wound. He kept squirming as she laughed, "It hurts, aw!" He nearly screamed, "Don't move so much and it won't." "Couldn't you just use your magic and fix it up?" He asked, "Magic doesn't work that way." She said as she rolled her eyes, "Why not?" he asked pulling away as she started sewing the wound closed. She smiled and sighed, "Magic has limits, it uses energy the stronger the spell or the more you use it the more energy required to use it." "That doesn't explain why you can't just heal me." "Healing magic isn't so simple, wounds can't just vanish so easily. It has to be transferred and that takes a lot of energy, even if I had enough energy left to do so I don't wish to have new stab wound today." "I wouldn't want that either, aw. Besides I guess a new scar wouldn't be to bad." He said, she smiled and finished stitching him up. He sat up on the table, and she started wrapping the wound.

"Could you potentially use more energy than you have then?" He asked, "Yes and no," "What does that mean?" "I could but if I use too much I could potentially die in the process." "Well I don't want you to die," "Thanks, I'd rather not die either." She shook her head still smiling as she stood and started to walk away. "Wait I didn't mean it that way." He said thinking she had taken it wrong, he instinctively taking her hand to stop her. It worked she stopped and turned slightly back towards him. She looked at their hands and he let go, looking down she could see his face turn slightly red. 

"I just meant." He started, she turned away again. She brushed a stray piece of her hair back behind her ear as her own face turned a slight shade of pink. "I know what you meant, thanks." She smiled and started cleaning up. "Lady Irene?" He said, "Yes?" "Would it be presumptuous of me to ask, how did you get those scars?" Irene froze, she took a deep breath. "Like I said wounds can't be erased only transferred." "What about scars?" He asked, "They can be erased with time, but it's impossible to erase them completely even if they're gone from your skin they will still linger in your mind. That's why I keep them as a reminder, not only to me but to others." As she spoke her hand went to her arm. Her eyes closed as she felt the skin there, it was like melted rubber beneath her fingertips. "A reminder of what?" He asked, "The truth," "About?" Aldrin said sounding impatient, "You wouldn't understand," "How could I if you don't tell me?" "That is a story for another time, for now I must return to my Queen." "Why do you keep calling her than, I thought you were her wife?" He asked confused, "I know my place, I am first and foremost her guard." Irene walked to the door opening it before pausing to add. "Besides I am her wife, only her consort."