Chapter 2- Earth

"I'm out see you tomorrow." I said pulling the apron back over my head and throwing it in my locker, "Good work today!" My manager yelled from the back room, "Bye," I said walked outside to see it was raining, I opened the umbrella and stepped out into the night. The streets weren't very crowed as people ran from place to place to get out of the rain. I love the rain, so I took my time walk home. Cars drove by at a steady pace splashing water on there way passed. I took the long way home around the park. I was walking passed a huge pile of crates that someone had left on the corner, when an animal jumped from a tree onto the pile. The crate broke and the poor thing crushed through them scattering the crate, and it got caught under one. I thought it was a cat so I crouched down to let it out, to found that it was a small white fox. With a rather interesting single black diamond shape on its forehead. It was shivering, but it's bright clear gray eyes looked up at me. I could see it had a silver collar with a bell that hung from a blue gem around its neck. "You belong to someone little guy?" I said in a calm voice, I set down my umbrella and took of my jacket. "It's okay I wont hurt you," I whispered wrapping it in my jacket. I picked him and my umbrella up, "You're safe now. Don't worry I've got you." I kept repeating as I walked, we were both soaked my long brown hair stuck to my neck and face. 

I took him straight to my neighbor, who was a vet. I knocked and when he opened the door he sighed, "What did you bring me this time?" he asked, I smiled. I brought stray animals to him a lot. We'd keep them for a few days find the owners, or if we couldn't find the owners we'd send them to his sister. She owned a pet rescue center just outside of town. I opened the coat, "Is that a arctic fox?" He asked surprised, "Yeah but it has a collar so I think he belongs to someone." "You'll owe me," "I'll make you guys my famous lasagna." He sighed and smile, "Fine bring it in," He looked the fox over and bandaged the small cut on his hind leg. "He'll be just fine, you both just need a little rest and time." He said leading me back out the door. "Thanks Frank," "Any time Marnie, and I'll tell Elizabeth you said hello." "Thank you, bye."

I took a few old blankets and put them I an empty box for the fox, as he got settled I got a bowl and put some water in it. He watched me as I did this never taking his eyes off me. "Who would own a fox? This is a crazy city isn't it," I said to it. I took a shower and made some dinner, feeding him some unseasoned fish as he continued watching me. I took the box with him in it and moved him to my room, I sat on the bed and watched him. He was scratched at the collar, "Is it bugging you boy. Here let me get it off, maybe it has who your owner is written somewhere." He froze and let me take off his collar. It was an intricately painted silver collar with a single dark blue stone, but there wasn't a name or address or even a number. "Well it looks like we'll just have to look for your owner the old fashion way tomorrow." I said, as he curled up in a ball and fell asleep. "At least you're out of the rain right?" I said turning off the light, as the sky lit up with lighting.

 The next day I went to work as usual, I had taken the fox out before I left. I couldn't seem to focus much at work, people were talk about the damages the storm caused. Apparently a few trees in the park had got hit by lighting and were destroyed. A guy was on the news after he had run his car into a street light, saying something about he had to swerved to avoid hitting woman in armor. They were testing to see if he was drunk or on drugs. I went home at lunch to let the fox out again, he seemed to be right at home. He run right up to me when I opened the door. The next few days continued like this and I grew found of the fox, I even started calling him Dash. I had taken a picture of him and put it around the area, no calls yet. When I got home on Thursday I quickly threw the lasagna together. I took it and the fox over to Franks, his daughter answer the door. She squealed, "Auntie Marnie!" And hugged me, "Hey Lizzy, I've brought dinner." She dragged me into the house squealing, Frank his wife and two other daughters were in the living room with several dogs. "Looks like you're busy today," "They were found in an abandoned building."Elizabeth said getting up to help me, she took the food and Lizzy's hand. "How's the fox?" "Perfect, but I don't think he likes to be left alone." I said as I sat down Dash curled up in my lap. "He looks like he's doing fine," "I haven't heard anything about a missing fox anywhere." "Nether have I, but have I have heard about the storms the past few nights?" "Yeah they're all over the news, caused quite a few accidents." "Yeah, well I guess I'll just keep him until we find his owner. Oh, I've got to go, I work early tomorrow. See you guys later," "Bye-" "Bye Auntie!"Lizzy yelled from the kitchen. I took Dash to back to my apartment and got him something to eat. He fallowed me around while I got my food ready as I got ready for bed, he even curled up on my pillow next to my head as I drifted off to sleep.