Chapter 4- The Challenge

"And here come our fighters." The crowd in the stadium cheered, as the best of the best made their way onto the battle field. Most were physically strong, some bigger than the rest towering over the competition. There were quite few who were thin, but muscular like ballerinas. All were in armor, though some more than most. Some were in full armor, a few just wearing breastplates. Most had swords or staffs, but a few didn't carry any weapons at all. All eyes however fell upon the last to enter the field. It was a small girl barely old enough to participate. Her long black hair reached her passed her waist, her skin was so white and unhealthy it look almost translucent. She was almost too thin like she hadn't eaten a proper meal in weeks. She wore only a few pieces of beat up miss matched armor. A breastplate that was far too big, the vambraces tied as tightly as they would go, but still slide a little over her hands. Her sword was far too big for her and looked almost like it weight as much as she did. A few fighters scoffed as she walked by them, but she just held her head high. Walking to the very center of the field and stood there her piercing blue eyes glaring up at the Queens booth.

The Queen was gone though, passed the night before. In the booth stood the head of the royal court, her hair as red as fire fell like waves stopping just over her shoulders. Black feathers were braided in here and there her armor was a black as night and lined with gold, it made her pale freckled skin look even whiter. She didn't not look away from the child only stared down at them all in silence. A bell rang from across the arena and the fighters gathered to the center,. Everyone in the arena went silent and turned to look at the red haired maiden, known as Magi. "My dear people of Utopia. As most all of you know Queen Persephone has passed peacefully in the night. As the head of the royal court and her best friend, the solemn duty falls upon me to help find and crown the next Queen. We shall all miss you Persephone you were a wise ruler and dear friend to us all. Now as according to our traditions we must choose a new Queen. So, let the tournament begin!" The crowd roared, but with a single wave of her hand silenced once again.

 "As with accordance with the laws of our kingdom the late Queen has left the rules for this tournament." She took off her necklace. It looked like a gold colored sea shell, but as she held it in her palm it began to glow. She threw it in the air and a projection of the late Queen appeared above the crowd. "My dear friends if you are hearing this, it means that my time has passed and a new Queen is to be chosen. I have thought long and hard on this matter, as most of you know I won my right to be Queen through a free for all battle that lasted nearly three days and nights. Yet as I have learned these passed years, strength is not all that matters when it comes to ruling a kingdom. A true Queen is not just strong but is compassionate, wise beyond her years, and thinks not of herself but only of others. I have decided that this time the tournament shall consist of only two challenges. Each designed to find the person who is not only the most powerful, but the one with the heart of a true leader. The first challenge shall show not only your power, but knowledge of the worlds beyond ours. As you well know every year we send a team to Earth and bring the unwanted children home to be raised with us. It is the most dangerous and one of most important of jobs in our world. As a Queen you lead the group to the strange land so as the first task you each shall go to earth and bring back the unwanted." A gasp of horror and surprise went through the crowd and fighters. The crowd seemed uneasy in their seats and so did quite a few of the fighters as well, only a few including the blue eyed child look determined. "I know only a few of you have actually been to the other world. So, you have until sunrise to retrieve an unwanted or you fail. If however you choose to quit I will completely understand, for it is with a heavy heart I send you to that world alone. Magi who I am sure is running the tournament shall open the gates for you. If you do pass this test, I would like to remind you that this is only the first task. So be careful and good luck my friends." The shell fell from the sky and landed back in Magi's outstretched hand. "The gates can only be opened at sunset, you have until then to decide weather you wish to continue in the tournament. If you do not wish too continued in this tournament you may join the audience, if however you want to continue we shall wait for you here." Magi said and turned making her way out back out of the stadium. The audience followed not long after, most of the fighters left as well contemplating whether it was really worth it. The only one not to move was the blue eyed child, who stood still in the middle of the arena her eyes closed.