Chapter 10- The Past Defines Us

"Faster!" Queen Vivian bellowed, her short blonde hair shining in the sunlight. She wore pure white armor lined with gold, it fit her perfectly hugging every curve and making her look like an angel from below. Her brown eyes glared down at the fighters, her face turned down in a sneer. At her side was Irene, wearing similar armor. She would have been just a beautiful as the Queen if it wasn't for the red burn scar obscuring most of her face and neck. It stretched from just below her left eye down her neck, it continued on her shoulder and down her arm stopping just above her left elbow. Her left eye was milky white, her dark brown hair curled to perfection sat on her left shoulder hiding most of the scars. Her eyes however did not fall upon the fighters but the Queen herself. Whether it was fear or sadness no one knew, but it was something different than the usual admiration. 

"Enough! We are done for today, take your rest and make sure you are ready for practice tomorrow. I will not accept anything less than perfection." She said, the fighters stopped and bowed before leaving. "I don't know what's gotten into them lately." The Queen said, "My Queen, perhaps they are tired. You have been pushing them further than usual." "Perhaps but it's no excuse, we are on the brink of war we need to be ready." "War with whom, my Queen?" Irene asked, "The world my love," the Queen said before asking, "Who is that?" "Who?" Irene asked, "The man picking up the weapons I don't recall seeing him before?" She pointed at the only man on the field. Even from a distance he looked tall, he was only ever so slightly muscular. Yet too thin like he didn't have enough to eat. His skin was tan from working too much in the sun, she could even see from here the back of his neck was red. What was most interesting was the fact that he had a beard, most men kept clean shaven and had long hair. Yet there was this guy had short almost black hair and a beard, it was far different than what she was use to seeing. "I do not know my Queen." She said, "Weren't we just talking about needing new blood in the castle? He doesn't look to incompetent, tell the guards to bring him to the castle. I guess we could put him to work somewhere," she said before leaving. "Yes my Queen."

***

I had been sat at the Queens side or well, closer to her feet. The priestess Magi at my side, the twin guards standing next to the throne. They had set up tables in a giant square in the grand hall where the throne sat. Queen Violet lounged on her throne as the twins held trays of food at her sides. She however only took a small bite at a time. The room was filled with music and people. There were about five hundred people total, only about a few dozen or so of them were men. Unlike the women, none of the males wore armor. The children were all dancing in the center having fun, a few of the older woman had joined them. There were people of all kinds here, though there were less than a handful of women older than 50. There were several people with missing limbs as well as deep scars. Yet everyone seemed at peace, just happy to be alive. It was a giant party the room was filled with music, food, people all for me. I found it nice, but completely unnecessary

"So this is everyone in Utopia?" I asked, "Well at least those who live in the capital." Magi said, she clapped to the beat as she watching the others dance. "There are other towns?" I asked, "Just one more," "Really?" "Yes, but it's not important." She said, "Why not?" "It's for those who have been banished from here and aren't allowed to go to Earth." "Banished from here, really?" I asked surprised, "It's mostly male, not a good place to live but not the worst." Magi said, "You've been there?" "Yes a long time ago, but we haven't banished anyone in years. The only reason we know it's still there is because they-" Boom! "They attack us every once in awhile," she sighed, everything stopped in that moment. The music, dancing, everything. Then when Queen Violet stood it moved all at once again. A majority of the people in the hall headed towards the doors where the sounds had come from. "Those unable to fight please follow the High priestess to a safe place. While the warriors and I take care of these rebels." Queen Violet said calmly. "My dear Marnie I would suggest you go with the Priestess as well." Queen Violet said softly before following her warriors out the doors. I planned on doing as she said, but only after I saw what was happening outside.

***

"You clumsy fool look what you did, get out of my sight!" Queen Vivian yelled, Aldrin sat on the ground in a puddle of wine. He was clean shaven and you could see a long deep scar on his chin, but his hair was still kept cut short. His servants uniform was soaked in wine and so was most of Irene's gown. He practically ran away slipping slightly on the wine as the Queen yelled at him, "Who was that anyways?" She asked as other servants rushed in with towels to clean up the wine. One tried to wipe the wine from Irene's dress only making it worse. "I believe his name was Aldrin? The man you had brought from the training field," Irene said taking the towel carefully from the servant with a smile and started to dab at the dress knowing far too well it wasn't going to work. "Oh look at you, your dress is ruined. Why don't you go change." The Queen suggested, "Yes of course," Irene agreed half hardheartedly, as she walked out of the room. From the corner of her eye she could see several people start to laugh, one smirking at her with distaste. She carefully walked down the dark hallways holding her dress so it wouldn't drip on the floor. She the corner to the hall that held her room and paused, Aldrin still soaked stood at her door. She held her head high and walked towards him. He looked up when he heard her coming. Before she had even made it to him he fell to his knees bowing.

"I'm so sorry lady Irene I didn't no mean you any harm." "No reason to cry over spilled wine." She said softly, "It was all my fault I do beg your forgiveness, even if I do not deserve it." He said, she smiled curiously down at him before kneeling as well. He looked up at her, before remembering he wasn't suppose to and looked back down. "Everyone deserves forgiveness, besides I know this was not your fault. I'm sure my Queen did not mean to knock that apple into your path." "I should have been more vigilant, it was my fault." "If you truly believe so then, I guess I can forgive you." She said, standing him still looking at the floor. "You are too kind," "In my experience a little kindness can go a long way." "I wish to make it up to you somehow," "Do not worry about it Sir Aldrin," he looked up again and forgetting to look back down. "You know my name?" He asked, genuinely surprised. "I like to know everyone's name, now if you'll excuse me I must change so I can return to my Queen." "Of course," he said bowing his head once more and standing before stepping to the side. Now that he was standing she could see that he was at the very least a head taller than her. 

"You should probably get going and cleaned up as well. Besides the Queen doesn't like me alone with anyone but her." She said turning to open the door, "I have noticed that, may I ask why?" "She is just protective of me." "Is that so, and why is that?" He asked, "Do you always ask this many questions to people you've just met?" Irene turned back to him her hand still on the door handle, his big brown eyes watching her with curiosity. "I'm sorry," he said looking down, Irene laughed. "Never apologies over such trivial things." He looked up at her and smiled, her face turned slightly red. "I really do have to go," she said quickly. "Right, farewell for now Lady Irene." He bowed and left, she watched him walk away confused. She then shook her head and went into her room to change.