Chapter 37

The days flew by and before I knew it was Friday, the day of Alexander's work party. The event at first felt like a cage, trapping me in my Mother's clutches. Now it was liberating, giving the band both exposure and a chance to just jam and have fun.

My Mother wasn't attending and that was part of the reason, Alexander told me she was to be moving out a week after New Year's, whether or not I was going with her was a completely different story. He also said he officially uninvited her from the ball, he wanted me to be able to enjoy myself. Honestly, while Alexander will never ever replace my Dad, I don't know where I would be without him.

That morning Thomas and I drive to school, me feeling finally happy for the first time in forever. With a skip of my step, I jump out the car and go to meet with the rest of the band.

"Eager?" Thomas laughs, keeping up with me due to his long stride.

"Yes! Today's the big day!" I smile before rushing inside.

Everyone's there except for Luke, but I try to pay little attention to that fact. Try being the keyword, we'd been in a good place lately and everything felt the way it was before everything happened. Only it wasn't, neither of us had made a move to get back together and I wasn't sure if it was going to happen.

"Today's the day!" Fiona squeals.

"I know right! I'm so stoked!" I reply, beaming.

"The best part is that we miss the dumb beauty pageant," Thomas adds. We give him a questioning look. "DIdn't you know? It's like right after school and we're not performing until after dinner, when the party part starts."

Fiona cringes. "Why did your Dad even decide to have a beauty pageant? What does that have to do with his company?"

Thomas looks hesitantly. "Uh Julia, Maya's Mom, insisted that there's a beauty pageant, something about if she's not going to do ballet and modelling was out the question then she had to do something," he says. "Besides, lots of Dad's employees have teenage daughters," he adds quickly.

It's silent. "Well at least we don't have to deal with that," Lucy perks up. There are mutters of agreement. "Anyway, we better get to class."

"Boy am I glad winter break starts next week," Adam sighs.

"Amen to that!" I say. "Anyway, I'll see you guys in music!" I call as I walk to class.

Luke still wasn't here, should I be worried? The final bell was due to ring in just a few minutes.

Almost as if on cue, Luke jogs up next to me. I breathe a sigh of relief and playfully slap his shoulder. "Don't do that! You were nearly late!"

He smirks down at me. "If I didn't know any better Maya, I'd say you were worried about me."

"No! I just about you! Just... if you got a detention and we have a show tonight!" I blurt.

His smug grin gets smugger. "Our show doesn't start until 7 but you keep telling yourself that." He then opens up the classroom door for me and gestures for me to walk in.

What's that supposed to mean? "Where were you anyway?" I ask as we take our usual spots beside each other.

"You'll see."

How cryptic. What could've he possibly been up to on a Friday morning?

The school day drags because of my anticipation for tonight. Whether it's anticipation for the show in just a few hours or because of Luke's cryptic message this morning, I don't know.