Chapter 28

Everybody came to say goodbye.Ross,Jessica,Sam and Oliver.

I stood with my mom as the tears run down my face uncontrollably.No matter how many times she wiped them away,I couldn't stop crying.

When the time finally came,I don't know how I managed through it all but I did.Soon,mom had disappeared in the throng of people and I hugged Ross with all my might as I tried to remind myself that I had made the right choice.

***
I had to stay.

That's what I had thought a week ago on the beach with Ross.After that,he had driven me home and I had spoken to my mother with a clearer head.

She had promised to call everyday with an update,but with the time difference,I knew it wasn't going to be easy.

Of course there was also going to be a problem of her missing my 18th birthday and me not being able to live on my own.Fortunately,Jessica's mom was her friend and was more than happy to welcome me into her house.

Ross drove Jessica and I back to her place,and I knew it was going to be weird at first looking at this house as my home for who knew how many weeks or hopefully,days.

Ross followed us in and Jessica immediately bid us a good night and trudged off to her room,pretty tired.I couldn't blame her,it was almost 11pm and I was really tired as well.

"I better go,"Ross said,when we reached my room.

"Don't,"I said,before I could think about it."Please stay with me tonight."

Ross nodded and I pulled him into my room.

I changed into a tank top and flannel pajama pants in the bathroom.When I came out,Ross was sitting on one side of the bed,his bareback facing me.

He turned and met my gaze.The atmosphere was tense but charged,and I had no idea why.Ross had been in my room many times but why did this feel different?

"You took off your shirt,"I blurted.

Ross chuckled and stood facing me,and it was definitely a struggle to keep my eyes off of his abs.

"You should be lucky I only took my shirt off.I usually sleep with less clothing,"he said,before moving towards me.That's when I noticed how low Ross' joggers were hanging on his hips."Ready to go to bed?"

I looked up at Ross,my cheeks burning in embarrassment when I realised that he'd noticed me checking him out.

I nodded like a dummy before walking round him and climbing into the bed,mentally kicking myself for my stupidity.

Ross followed suit after turning off the lights,and we laid under the blanket in silence until Ross whispered my name.

I turned to face him to find that he was really close to me.It may have been dark,but I could still faintly see him because of the moonlight streaming through the window.

"Can't sleep,"Ross said."You?"

I sighed."Me neither."

Ross' hand found my cheek and his thumb run over it softly.I leaned into his touch and closed my eyes for a moment.

"Ross?"I found myself saying."Are you happy?"

Ross' silence had me opening my eyes.He looked confused.

"Yes,I am,why?"he replied slowly.

"Please don't get tired of me."

"Why would you ever think that?"

I avoided his gaze and muttered,"You must want sex because that's what you're used to,and I'm not giving it to you."

"Hey,hey,"Ross said,lifting my chin so that my eyes met his."I may have been used to having flings and casual sex,but when I met you,all those things suddenly seemed blasé.You'd be surprised to know that sex is actually the farthest thing from my mind.Right now,I like what we have."