Chapter 19

"So,Laura,I guess you should be wrapping up on the assignment,"Miss Caroline told me on Friday morning when we met each other in the halls.

You mean the assignment I hadn't completed yet?"Of course,Miss Caroline,"I lied,adding a smile to make it more believable.

Miss Caroline beamed."I can't wait to see it on Monday."

"It will be here,first thing in the morning,"I said,then we part ways.

I run into Anna."Hey,Anna.How's everything?"

"Good,good.You?"

I sighed."Not so well.See,the deadline for my Creative Writing assignment is on Monday and I'm nowhere near done."

Anna patted my shoulder."You can do it,Laura.You can ditch the rest of the school day,find a quiet place and write."

I shook my head."If only it was that easy,"I said,running a hand through my hair."I suck at Creative Writing."

"So the rumours are true,"Anna said.

"Huh?"

She points at my tattoo."I heard that you got a tattoo and Victoria practically went ballistic because it matched with Ross',"she replied.I nodded."Matching tattoos,really?Are you guys dating now?"

I shook my head and she sent me a 'how can you not when you guys have matching tattoos?!' look.

I let out a laugh."You see,funny story-"what do I say?-"it was a dare."

"A dare?"

"A dare!Ross dared me to do it and I dared him right back.The mistake we made was we didn't tell the man what we wanted,so he just assumed we were together and gave us matching tattoos."Wow,that came out pretty good.

Anna shook her head."That's so unprofessional."

"Right?So-"

"Do you think it's fate?Maybe you guys were actually meant to be and-"

"Okay I'm going to class,"I cut in before she suddenly sprouts cupid wings and starts shooting arrows at the poor students.

"But-"

I start walking away."Bye,Anna."

***
During lunch,I sit at an empty table and after a few minutes,the others come to join me.Anna comes soon after.

"Where's Tori?"I asked her.I haven't seen her around lately.

"In the library,doing some research on some animal species close to extinction,"Anna said,her attention on her chocolate milk.

"For a class?"I asked.

"Nope."

Well,okay then.

"Hey,I don't think we've met,"Oliver said to Anna with a grin."I'm Oliver."

Anna smiles back and Sam frowns.

"Anna.Nice to meet you,"Anna replied.

"Likewise,"Oliver said."So,Anna,I was just telling everyone about my awesome pool.I even have a diving board."

Sam scoffs.

"That's cool.As for me,I don't even know how to swim,"Anna said.

"I can teach you,"Oliver told her.

"Oh look,there's Ben Grey!"Sam exclaims,in a fake cheery tone."I'm calling him over.I'm sure he wants to sit with us!"

"Oh my God,Sam,please don't,"Anna begged,as we all looked in the direction Sam was pointing to.Ben is standing not too far away,holding his tray in his hands and looking round for a place to sit.