Chapter 2

My eyes widened beneath my glasses as I waited for him to keep talking.My life was over.

"Get out of my way."

I quickly put the rest of the books in my bag and shifted away without looking up.What do you know,I could actually get away with it."S-sorry,"I mumbled.

"Yeah yeah whatever," he replied,and I pictured him rolling his eyes.He and his friends' footsteps faded away and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

My disguise actually worked!But how long was I going to do this?

I shook my head and stood up.Thankfully,the crowd had dispersed leaving the hallway empty.I walked quickly but anxiously to my locker.When I got to it though,all I could do was gape at it in shock.On my locker was a bunch of hurtful things in spray paint.

'PRUDE'

'LOSER'

'MAN HANDS'

'CRAZY BITCH'

'FREAK'

My vision blurred for a moment as the words suddenly brought back a memory.I remembered how back in my old school,people never liked me.But when the bigger kids tried to bully me,my sister would step up and threaten all of them.Since they were all scared of her,they left me alone.

But here was the case where I was by myself.Vanessa wasn't around anymore,and I was in an entirely different place.Yesterday,I was driven by anger and stress,and that was why I had dared to slap someone like Ross Lynch.

As I stood there staring at my locker,tears began to spill down my cheeks.I was going to go through hell alone.That bit of bravado I had yesterday was gone,and was replaced by a shy girl who wanted nothing to do but to disappear in a corner.

***
I came into the French class 15 minutes before it ended,but Mademoiselle Jemima didn't comment.It was the first time I had come late to her class,so she was going to let it slide.However,I couldn't pay attention no matter how much I tried.Eventually,I gave up and just stared into my textbook.All I could think about was how to get someone like Ross Lynch off my back.It seemed almost impossible.

Prank him?Too risky.

Report him?No,death sentence.

Apologize?That wouldn't work.He would just make a mockery of me.

I sighed when the bell rang and everyone rushed out.If I could go through the rest of the day without running into Ross Lynch,that would be a blessing.

I walked into my Math class and as soon as the bell rang for class to begin,Mr.Frederick stood up and began distributing papers.

"Pop quiz,"he announced,and almost everybody groaned.I forgot about my problems and sat up straight to take the quiz.I couldn't afford to fail.One class was enough as it is."Start work as soon as you get a sheet."

I began working as soon as I got a paper and finished 20 minutes later just as someone walked in.

"Ross Lynch.How nice of you to finally grace us with your presence," I heard Mr.Frederick say.My heart jumped in my chest and I immediately placed my head on the desk,pretending to be asleep.

"Anytime,sir," I heard Ross say.

"Take a seat,Ross.We're in the middle of a pop quiz."

"That sucks."

I felt Ross Lynch walk by me and I realized I had to keep my head down until he left the class.

The period ended half an hour later but I still kept my head down,waiting for the sound of shuffling feet to end.