Chapter 20- Life & Death

Agony.

All I know is agony.

Pain blinded my senses. Spots danced in my vision, and there was a ringing in my ears that was unrelenting.

I struggled on my feet, every step making me cry out in pain. Tears stung my eyes, and I hated myself for feeling so weak, but I couldn't fight the pain.

It was immense. Overwhelming.

I didnt know where I was, only that Declan suddenly swooped down and scooped me off of my feet.

"She wont make it to the safe place, Declan. The shift is happening now." Adam's voice was hard to make up by the ringing still dominating my hearing.

"I know a place..." Declans voice was drowned out by another scream I couldn't contain. My left shoulder felt like it had pulled itself out of place with a horrific pop.

I dont remeber getting in the car.

I dont remeber moving, or where I was going.

All I knew was the pain overtaking me. I was struggling to keep my head up. My body felt tired, and my heartbeat raced in my chest.

Sweat trickled down my brows, running into the corners of my eyes.

I closed my eyes, willing the pain to end.

I hated Adrian for doing this to me. I hated him more with every second I spent in agony.

"Stay awake, Claire." Declans warm hands brushed across my cheek as he pulled me out of his car. His arms were strong, holding me in place against his chest.

I fluttered my eyes open, wanting to find the strength to look at him.

Our eyes connected, and I was hit with the vision of trees towering above his head. His footsteps glided gracefully across the forest floor.

His blue eyes were like an unending ocean I couldn't look away from. It felt like I had found something I'd been searching for my whole life and didnt know it.

My connection to him, in that moment was something deeper than love. It was something deeper than any emotion I'd ever felt.

His every emotion became a part of me, his love, his concern. It was a cosmic connection I'd never thought could exsist.

So this is what a mate is?

Declans eyes sofened as they connected with mine. If I looked deep enough, a powerful, black wolf stared back at me, just before the black overtook my vision, and I couldn't hold my head up anymore.

I let my head fall back, and embraced the coming darkness.
***

When I opened my eyes again, pure, white light flooded my vision.

My body felt light, and all the pain I knew a moment ago was gone.

I was standing in what looked like a room, only with no walls, and no cieling.

The space before me was white as snow, and completely unending.

"Where am I?" I asked outloud, despite the fact that I was completely alone. My voice echoed across the empty space.

The pack was gone.

I whipped around in a panic, looking for any signs of life.

My searching stopped when my eyes landed on a tall figure with flaming red hair.