Chapter 7- The Witch

Freeda's home was everything I'd expected and more. Her front door opened up to her living room, which had more bookshelves than I could count, each lined with jars and trinkets of different shapes and sizes.

Her furniture was classy, but dated, almost in an antique style. Her floors were solid wood, and they creaked beneath my sneakers.

"Don't mind the mess." Freeda said, apologetically. "Nora and I don't often entertain guests."

The gleam in her eyes told me she couldn't wait to speak to me alone. Taking her hint, I turned to Nora.

"I'm a little thirsty, do you have anything I could drink?" I asked.

Nora's eyes went wide. "Oh, of course. I'm so sorry. Water okay?"

I nodded, and she hurried through the living room into the adjacent kitchen.

"You've spoken with Declan." Freeda said,
Cooly. Her eyes traveled over me as if she was examining every detail.

"You know?"

I instantly felt ridiculous. Of course she knew. She was a witch. She probably has some crystal ball or something to tell her everything that everyone is doing.

"I'm the pack healer. It is my job to know Declan's pack, old and new members alike."

Pack healer? Well, I guess it makes since. Werewolves can't go to normal doctors, they'd quickly notice something strange and ship them off to be lab rats.

"I'm not a part of his pack." I said, a little too quickly.

Freeda's eyes narrowed.

"You may want to rethink that decision. It's not safe for a young wolf in these woods alone."

The curious look in her eyes told me there was something about my situation that was perplexing, but she had no intention of revealing it to me.

She strode across the living room to a nearby bookshelf, plucking a necklace with a shimmering stone from its place on what looked like a monkey paw.

"Moonstone." She said, simply, answering the question I didn't have time to ask.

She returned to her place in front of me, her long, silk dress flowing behind her as she walked.

Her arms outstretched and she presented me the necklace, holding the stone cupped in her hands. The stones opalescent finish flashed blue as it caught rays of light pouring in from Freeda's living room window.

"For me?" I asked, cautiously taking the pendant from her hands. Cool electricity traveled through my fingertips from where the moonstone touched. Nothing like what I experienced with Declan's touch. This electricity was like an icy barrier.

Something almost impenetrable.

"I'm not a caster. I specialize in potions, not spells, but what I can do is offer you a protection pendant. If you are not going to join Declan, then you'll need it beyond doubt."

At a loss for words, I tucked the pendant in my pocket and gave her a great full smile

"Does Nora know?" I asked, suddenly. I realized in that instant that it would be great to be able to have someone to talk to about my situation.

"No."

All hope of my confiding in Nora vanished with Freeda's word.

"Nora was at a delicate time in her life after her parents death. Her mother, my sister, was a caster. It seemed at the time that Nora might inherit her abilities, but she never did. There is no reason for her to know this world and all of its troubles if she is human. You understand, right?" Freeda's eyes were pleading with me not to speak to Nora about her or Declan.