Chapter 5- Confrontation

"No. No, no, no, no, no." I kept repeating the word out loud, as if saying it might somehow erase everything I'd just read.

Declan is pulling a cruel prank on me. I don't know how he's doing it, but it must be him. He expects me to fall for this 'werewolves are real' bullshit.

I'm not buying it.

But then...there was the wolf. How could Declan have pranked all of that? I know what I saw in those woods. It wasn't a normal wolf. It was larger than anything I had ever seen before.

Wolves don't get that big.

Werewolves do.

No.

I shot up out of my desk, closing my laptop shut.

Declan was trying to get to my head. He would answer for this. He'd answer for all of it.

My blood was boiling as I stormed out of my house.

A girl was dead, and Declan was trying to convince me werewolves are responsible?

I wasn't quiet sure where I was going, but I quickly took a left at the end of my driveway and followed the tree line.

Anger seemed to quicken my pace, and still the longer I walked, the more angry I became.

Did he think this was a joke? Did he really think I'm that gullible?

I don't know how he knew about what I had been experiencing, but I know damn good and well that I was not turning into a...

I couldn't even think the word 'werewolf' anymore without feeling like I'd gone absolutely bananas.

My feet stopped before me as the trees cleared, opening up to a large, paved driveway. It led up to the largest wooden cabin I had ever seen, adorned with a large, wrap around porch and 3 stories, including what appeared to be a massive attic.

This must be where Declan lives. Who else could afford a house like this?

I stormed up the driveway, ready to confront Declan about everything he would have me believe.

As soon as my feet connected with the wooden porch steps, however, the front door swung open.

I hadn't expected to greet anybody else; certainly not a tall, shirtless man with short, styled brown hair. His kind hazel eyes connected with mine and his perfectly shaped lips pulled back to reveal a charming, white smile.

"You must be Claire." He said, eyeing me over like a medium-rare steak.

My cheeks flushed red.

"How do you know me?" I demanded, finishing my ascent up the stairs to look this stranger square in his face.

The stranger almost seemed to be amused by my anger, is if it were the funniest thing he'd seen in a while. It was infuriating.

"Oh, we have been told to expect you. I just didn't anticipate it being so soon."

His eyes wandered down to my chest, and to the necklace sitting gracefully atop my hoodie.

His eyes danced across the glinting gold, the corners of his mouth pulling up into a smirk. He mumbled something that sounding like
'Should have known' and pulled the door open wide, stepping to the side.

"Come in." He said, kindly. "Declan is waiting for you in the living room."

I pushed past the stranger without a second thought, catching Declan in front of me, one leg resting on the other in a brown leather armchair. He was reading a thick book, completely oblivious, or ignoring my appearance all together.