Chapter 18- Saying Goodbye

Since I've arrived in Maple Falls, it has rained exactly six times.

Six dull, grey skies.

Today makes seven.

It wasnt raining yet, but the sky was heavy with the solemn promise of another heavy rain.

The darkness circling the skies seemed so close and so overpowering, its presence alone was suffocating.

"Claire, are you okay?" Nora's familiar soft voice pulled me from my trance.

For what seemed like the first time, I realized I was staring past her shoulder, out towards the kitchen window.

I twirled my thumb around the top of my tea mug resting safely on the kitchen island, ignoring the questions until the last possible second.

"I'm fine." I said, finally.

I was getting far too good at lying. It made me uncomfortable, especially when I had to lie to someone I'd gotten so close to.

Nora gave me a sideways smile, her chin coming foward to rest on her hands, propped up on the island.

"Does this have anything to do with the pack?" She asked.

Her question came so suddenly, a lump formed in my throat.

"The...the what?" I asked, my throat feeling dry, cracking under the sudden pressure.

I took a drink of my tea, trying to force down the lukewarm mixture.

"You've missed a lot in these past few days, Claire." Freeda said, her hand coming up from behind me to rest on my shoulder.

She'd been so quiet in the living room, I'd almost forgotten she was here.

"Watch this." Nora said, her voice full of confidence as she held out a hand palm up. Her palm began to glow a heavy orange, her hand shooting out sparks until a small flame flickered in the center of her palm.

As quickly as it grew, the flame died, and Nora clutched her hand into a fist, the orange glow dissipating.

I was amazed. This wasnt the type of magic Freeda used.

"You're a caster." I said, trying my best to hide the smile crossing my face.

I tried my best to remind myself Nora was going to be thrust into a dangerous world, but by the looks of it, she may just be able to handle herself.

"I've been teaching her all I know, but unfortunately, it isn't much." Freeda said, the corners of her mouth falling.

"I'm afraid, you may be able to help my niece more than I can now."

"Me?" I asked. "How can I help?"

"Adam has a secret library in the pack house, full of ancient books on lycanthropy, vampires, and even spell books I have never seen. Nora must go with you and study there. She will learn more from living in your world than I can teach her here."

Nora's confident smile fell.

"I thought you said it would just be temporary." Nora argued, her arms crossing over her chest.