Perhaps that guy did have answers. I couldn't rely on Nathan, Saphira, or even my mother. I needed to put on my big girl shoes. I needed to find that guy.

-

"Something's bothering you," Nathan said. We were playing basketball at the park that was relatively near our home. "It's nothing," I dismissed, while dribbling the ball. I performed a lay up before passing the ball to him. I remember telling myself to forget about the mysterious guy, but I knew I couldn't do that. Now that I wanted to find him, he was all I was thinking about. His striking face refused to leave my mind. 

"Come on," he sighed. He bounced the ball away from the net. He then shot the ball right into the basket. "Don't lie to me."

I exhaled before catching the ball. "It's that guy, right?" he said. "I think you're overreacting. Maybe he found your hair interesting," he chuckled with amusement.

"I'm not overreacting," I said, feeling a bit annoyed at his response. "And I don't think he was staring at me because of my hair." We played in silence for a couple more minutes. "Something is on your mind too," I noticed. "What's up?"

"It's nothing," he said as he stopped moving. "Tell me more about this guy." I stared into his eyes to see concern. Even though he was acting like he didn't care, I knew he did. He was too good to me. "It can wait," I replied. "What's up with you?" I asked him again.

"It's just school. I checked the fees to join the soccer team, and it's so expensive. Where am I going to get money like that?" he whined.

"But you're already playing soccer with your league. Why do you want to join our school team?"

"Because I have a better chance at getting noticed," he admitted.

"You still want to play soccer professionally, right?" I asked him. "Yes. I think so. Actually, I don't know. I'm a bit stressed."

He bounced the ball against the ground before shooting it and missing. "Maybe take some time to think about it. Make a list of the pros and cons."

"Yeah, I should do that. But what if I get drafted and I have to move to the other side of the country?" I caught the ball, feeling my heart sink into my chest. "I know you wouldn't like that, and trust me, I wouldn't like that either," he admitted.

"Yeah, but you love soccer. I'm just your best friend. We could call everyday and text," I said. "Wait, we're just starting university. We still have four more years," I laughed feeling relieved.

"Well, not exactly. Things could change quickly," he said. My heart dropped again hearing him say that. "But there's no need to worry."

"Yeah," I sighed, feeling unsure. I knew deep down inside that I was worrying. I didn't want him to go, but I knew eventually he had to. Regardless if he would play soccer professionally, he had a life to live and a destiny to fulfill. He had a mate out there waiting for him. And I wanted nothing, not even me, to get in the way of that. Maybe I should start distancing myself so when the time comes, it'll be easier for me.

We had always been inseparable. I used to have a crush on him and maybe he had one on me too at some point, but I was quick to shut it down. I definitely didn't want to interfere with his future relationship. He was like my older brother; except I was the one who was older.

Having him leave would be like cutting my legs off. Well, that was extreme, but that was how close we were. I had relied on him so much growing up. A part of me was afraid of the idea of not having him with me.

-

It was 8:55 am as I walked down the stairs to get ready for my morning jog. I was exactly an hour later than usual. I very rarely exercised at 9. There were days where I went a bit later than 8 but never nine. Opening our closet, I pulled on my new shoes.

As I put them on, my mind drifted effortlessly to the guy from the mall. It had been a week since the incident, and I still wasn't able to get him out of my head. Constantly thinking about him was driving me insane. Was he one of the boys I punched back in fourth grade? Was he a stalker? Was he a pervert?

Shaking away my thoughts, I opened the front door. The smell of faint dew was very strong. It had rained during the night. The sweet melody of the birds singing tingled my ears. I smiled, feeling the cool breeze blowing gently against my face. It felt good. I then began to walk my usual route.

After arriving at my pond, I walked toward my familiar tree and started to take off my shoes. I had a habit of dipping my feet in the water. It felt refreshing because most mornings it was very humid outside.

Suddenly something caught my eye. Someone was already in my pond. Now I knew that pond was within the border. It wasn't on our property or our neighbours, but I called it mine. Putting my left shoe back on, I hid behind the tree. My heart quickened in beats as gripped onto the bark. Anxious and curious, I peered out to get a better look at the person in my pond.

With one quick motion, they emerged out of the water. My eyes widened as I turned around. After giving them a couple of minutes to change, I turned around to look again. This person was a girl. She was tall and was now wearing pants but no shirt. Her locks reached to the middle of her back. She had very broad shoulders. Something I didn't see everyday.

Why was she swimming in my pond? I frowned, feeling disappointed. I knew I was being selfish. It wasn't even my pond, but I felt annoyed. Perhaps they had a similar routine like mine.

She then turned around. I looked to see that she had no boobs. Her chest was completely flat. My eyes widened in surprise. Huh? She suddenly lifted her hands up to wring her hair dry. She had an Adam's apple. I squinted my eyes even though I had perfect eyesight. Was that a guy or a girl?

Crouching slowly, I moved from tree to tree to get a better look. Thankfully, I was wearing a green windbreaker so I was able to blend with the trees and bushes well. Stopping behind a big tree, I crouched low.

However, as I was looking at this person, they suddenly looked in my direction, allowing me to get a better view of their face. My eyes widened in terror as I swiftly turned away.

It was him—the guy from the mall, the one who had been staring at me strangely. My heart began to beat fast against my ribcage. I was trembling and my palms had become sweaty. I was facing a reality I had only encountered in my thoughts these past few days.

What on earth was he doing in my pond? I turned around seeing him walk away from the pond and into the woods. I struggled to process this information. Instead of dipping my feet into the body of water, I retreated back home practically running faster than lightning. Yes, I slipped a few times, but I was determined to get home fast.

Upon my arrival, I immediately drowned myself in a long, hot shower. I then laid onto my bed staring up at my ceiling. I just witnessed the angry dude from the mall in my pond. Did that mean he lived near here? Where we lived was a werewolf region, so did that mean he was a werewolf?

I slowly sat up on my bed. I should've confronted him, but I didn't have the time to or the courage. Maybe I would never see him again. Or maybe he would be back tomorrow. In under five seconds, I had decided to go back to my pond again tomorrow. However I didn't plan on telling Saphira or Nathan about today. It would be my little secret.