A short while later, Belvina entered and sat down across from him. Beside her sat the one person he had set his eyes upon other than Perseus; Demelza.

"So Mister Riddle, may we be honored to know the reason of your visit?" Belvina asked, presenting him with a cup of tea as an act of hospitality.

He accepted the cup and dipped his head in gratitude, "I had a very important matter to discuss with both of you. I apologize for coming here without informing beforehand but I have been upset lately and you happen to be the only people who can help me."

Both of them were a little surprised at his statement. "That is indeed strange. How can we help you and why are you upset?"

Tom took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly as if trying to relieve the stress, "I am extremely worried for Perseus."

Belvina glanced briefly at her daughter as if she would have known anything about it but she only shrugged off in reply.

"I work at the shop alongside him and we have been quite good friends. But from the past few days I have noticed that he's anxious regarding something. And he's not telling me what the cause to his discomfort is and that has got me worried," he elaborated, choosing his words cautiously for the desired emotional effect; for showing that he actually cared, "he hardly talks anymore and every time we meet I see that he is not as eager as he used to be. He has become weak, Madam Burke, and I doubt that he's even having his meals on time."

A wave of concern washed over her; she had always regarded Perseus as her own son and hearing such a woeful account from his friend made her upset as well, "that is quite troubling. I wonder why we never came to notice that."

"You see, I spend a lot of time with him and I care for him just like I would for a brother," he dropped his voice a bit low as if struck by grief, "if I had a brother..."

Being quite the nurturing and motherly soul, Belvina rose up from her chair and sat beside him gently patting his shoulder in a soothing gesture, "you can tell us what's troubling you, son. Any friend of Perseus is much welcome in our family."

Seeing that he had played his cards well and the arrow of sympathy had struck its mark, he resumed with the conversation in soft broken tones, "I have never had a family. I spent my early years at an orphanage with no idea who my parents were and even at Hogwarts I wasn't accepted as well as the others. Of course, who would like to associate themselves with a homeless orphan who has apparently had no magical background?"

She noticed the bitterness in his voice but kept silent, encouraging him to continue. Even Demelza was paying utmost attention; her deep brown eyes filled with concern.

"At school I hardly had any friends or even any soul to talk to, to have for company... But when I started working at Borgin and Burkes, Perseus became my friend. We would talk and I enjoyed his company as he understood me and allowed me to share my thoughts with him; something which I had never done before. He is a very kind person, Madam Burke, and a very fine young man. You can not blame me for becoming a little attached to him, just like a brother would be. To me, he fits the image of the perfect companion, a trustworthy friend and a great listener."

There was a short lived silence in the room in which Tom observed that his move was probably going to be successful as judged by the compassion in both his listeners' eyes.

"But then something changed. I think ever since Mister Burke gave me a chance to deal with customers, something changed in Perseus's attitude. I am not saying that he's jealous, no, but I guess he thinks that I am trying to take his position in his father's eyes. Trust me, that's not the case. No matter how hard I try or how much faith Mister Burke puts in me, Perseus is still his son, his flesh and blood, while I'm a mere apprentice. I have tried talking to him, making him understand that I have no such intentions but... But he doesn't allow me to finish. He says he's fine but I can sense that he's not."

Belvina nodded her head as if she had understood perfectly, "I see. But what can we do in this case?"

Tom looked up at her, "Madam Burke, I know very well that he has great respect for you in his heart. I know that he considers you both more his family than even his parents. I don't know why but I can sense it. I would be obliged if you try and put his mind at ease. I know he will listen to you and it will mean a lot to me if you convey that I don't mean him any harm and would be pleased if we continue as friends again."

"I will try my best to make him see sense," Belvina assured him, "me and Demelza both. Don't you worry, dear, Perseus will be alright."

He stood up as the assurance was his cue to leave, "I can't thank you enough, Madam Burke. I will be forever grateful to you."

The next move had been played at Riddle's chessboard; he had taken the Burkes in his confidence. The black bishop was put in action and he was one step closer to the final checkmate.

It would take some time, he was well aware of that. But he could wait. After all, patience only made the chase more interesting and the reward well earned. And just like a cunning serpent, he would wait in patience for the right time to strike his prey.

The right time at which the prey would have no other option but to surrender.

***