Chapter 4 - Elliot

Start from the beginning

"Do you like it?" The girl behind the stand leans over. "He's pretty popular. That's the last one I've got, I already sold five today."

"Already?" My mouth falls open. The con opened not even an hour ago.

"Yeah." The girl grins. "He goes pretty quickly, but takes a while to make, so I don't usually have many of him."

'Takes a while to make.' I need to give myself a moment to let that sink in. "You make these yourself?"

"Yeah."

"Wow." I look at the little guy in my hands. "I'm buying him now. I don't want to miss out. I cosplayed him last year, so I kind of need to have him."

"Last year?" The girl thinks. "I may have seen you, then."

"I was with a Phobos, Athena and this girl." I point at Mia. "I don't think I've got pics of the cosplay with me right now, though."

"That's okay. I think I remember you." She smiles. "You looked very cool. And this cosplay is super cute." She looks me up and down and I totally forgot about being Aoi for a few moments. But it totally doesn't seem to phase the girl.

"Thanks. I'm Elliot, you are?"

"I'm Emma. Nice meeting you." She looks over to the side, there are other people looking at her stand again.

"I'll just pay for him and then I'll stop distracting you." I hold out Deimos.

"Thanks." Emma lets out a laugh. "Cash or card?"

"Card." I turn to Mya for my wallet.

Mya sighs as she takes my wallet from her bag. "I'm going to have to carry him around all day, won't I?"

"You love him too." I grin. I take out my card and pay for Deimos. "And we can always dump him in the hotel room." I shrug as I take the bag with Deimos in it from Emma. "Thanks."

"Have fun!" She smiles, then she turns to another customer.

Mya moves a little down the side of the stand, digging through a box full of magazines, fanzines and other paper things. She's really focused and I'm pretty sure that I know what she's looking for. There is this sports anime, ice skating one, and she really wants some slash doujinshi of the two main characters. I keep forgetting the name of the anime, but she's been obsessed with it, especially since they announced that there would be a movie made too. I'm not into sports anime, so apart from seeing memes and screenshots of it on Twitter and stuff, I don't really know anything about it.

I step a little to the side, letting other people get to Emma's stand and just scroll through my phone, watching the pictures of the event being uploaded on social media. So many people. The event organizers are calling it their biggest edition of AmAnime yet, which is pretty cool because we don't get many of these around here. So as long as the event keeps growing, I'm happy, because it also means that they'll probably keep running it.

Then I stop scrolling. I look at the picture, and then again. That's... Someone is here as Sakura from Magical Princess Club!

I make the picture bigger, looking at the details of her dress, of her hair. She looks... Wow. Sakura doesn't really fit my personality, and her outfit is more complicated to make than Aoi's outfit, so I never really considered cosplaying Sakura. But this girl. Wow. She really looks like a real-life copy of her!

"What are you gaping at?" Mya tries to look into my phone from the top. "Show me."

"Sakura." I turn my phone to Mya. "Someone's here as Sakura."

Mya's eyes grow and she starts to smile. "That's impressive." She looks up at me. "And now you want to go find her?"

I hadn't even thought about that part yet. Meeting someone who is cosplaying the character who is Aoi's best friend in the anime? While, as a fan of the anime, I totally want to meet the girl, but as someone who isn't really sure if he can really show up in his own cosplay... I'm too scared. "Maybe? I don't know." I shrug. Any other day, I would have immediately tried to find Sakura and hoped to take a picture with her as soon as I'd seen her. But next to her, my crossplaying will be so obvious, and what about just... I don't know.