Chapter 22: Falling Apart

Harry’s POV

I held onto Louis’s hand for dear life through the whole car ride and then when we got out and went to make our way inside of the building. There were paps there too, as well as fans or anyone with a camera phone, snapping pictures left and right. Because oh my God it’s Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson and they’re holding hands. They’re together. It’s real.

I’m sure they completely ignored our red, swollen eyes and pained expressions though.

“Come, guys, hurry up.” Zayn called, trying his best to keep the nosy crowd away from Louis and I.

I just took a deep breath and squeezed Lou’s hand a bit tighter, lowering my head and walking faster.

We finally managed to get inside of the building, leaving the loud and rude crowd behind us.

Niall and Liam were already inside staring back at us with sympathetic yet supportive smiles. I noticed Niall’s eyes drift down to our entwined hands and he just gave a little nod of approval. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, but it wouldn’t go away.

Zayn followed us in and we were now heading towards the lifts, silence lingering in the air around us.

“I don’t want to go up to that meeting, Haz.” Louis breathed quietly, speaking for the first time since we left our flat. I looked down at him and he was staring straight forward with a blank look on his face. I sucked my lower lip in between my teeth and began to nibble at the flesh nervously, shaking my head.

“No one wants to.” I whispered in return.

Liam turned to face us after we got onto the lift and the doors shut, us thankfully being the only people inside of it.

“Just real quick guys,” he started, “I hope you know this already, but don’t panic okay. Try to relax before we go in, and know that no matter what we’ve got your backs. Don’t think we’re going to let them break you guys apart.”

“You know that we can’t stop them if that’s what they really want to do, Li.” I muttered, not looking him in the eye.

“I won’t let them.” Zayn growled. “Come on guys, it’s like you’re already giving up. We haven’t even gone in there yet.”

“I’m not giving up.” Louis mumbled. “I don’t want them to push us around and break us up. And I’ll stand my ground if that means I can stay with Harry, but how much say do we actually have?’ he asks sounding tired.

“All of it!” Niall exclaimed. “It’s your lives! Your relationship! You two love each other!”

“That means nothing to their pockets.” Louis scoffed. “And that’s all that counts in their eyes.”

“Come on. I’m sure it won’t be as horrible as you’re making it to be.” Liam said trying and failing to be optimistic. “It was just one stupid statement that Taylor Bitch made.”

“But she’s huge, Li.” I argued, speaking for the first time in this conversation. “Everyone cares about what she has to say and because I dated her, that makes her a ‘reliable source’ to the public. And now she’s playing victim and there’s always been rumors about me and Lou, so that doesn’t help, and she just confirmed said rumors, and I was holding Louis’s hands in front of all of the paps and there is really no way of getting out of this.” I rambled, running my free hand through my hair, my stress clear. “And it’s all my fault.” I added on after, voice cracking. “I should’ve just listened when that bitch PR girl said she wanted me to get back with Taylor. It would’ve been so much easier.”