[3] || "Picture Perfect" (PG)

Below are two versions of a short story that I wrote ages ago for English. Version 2 was edited to exclude certain scenes or extra bits of information that either was a bit inappropriate, or made the short story too long to submit to the teacher. There will also be a Reflection paragraph at the end of the chapter, briefly explaining my inspiration for the story as well as the reason for making the story shorter (the Reflection was a required component for the writing task).

What comes next after the story has been left to interpretation, unless I decide to write a book based on it in the future.

~~~

"Picture Perfect"

Version 1-

   "Seventy-eight percent? How come you only got seventy-eight?! This is not good enough!" Jacob's mother, Mara, throws his test papers back at him.
   "You were doing so well in school," scoffing and muttering to herself in her drunken stupor, she picks up the bottle again and takes another swig. Mara drinks often to forget her rich husband's infidelity, and takes comfort in the money he provides for the family.
   "Boy, I can't settle for just seventy-eight percent. Next time you better work harder and get at least ninety-five percent. Top marks mean top jobs, which means more money. Money can buy you happiness," Mara mumbles the last sentence to herself. She said this to her son because she didn't try in school, resulting her in obtaining a minimal amount of education. She was lucky in the sense that she was able to attract the attention of a rich man and marry him. Doing this had solved all her financial problems.
   She then says to her son, "You'll understand when you're older," stumbling to her room, bottle in hand, and shuts the door. Jacob walks over to the kitchen to drops his test paper in the bin and sighs. He felt frustrated and disappointed in his mother. He thought her to be pathetic and unsupportive. Being pressured all the time with responsibilities and expectations by his parents to be the best in everything was taking a toll on his mind. Deciding to leave the house he pulled on his 'IK Leather' black leather biker jacket and headed outside. As he was walking out the door, he could faintly hear the 1961 song by Patsy Cline "Crazy" playing upstairs from which he assumed to be his mother's room.

~~~

   The pill Jacob had taken half an hour upon entering the club had begun to take effect, leaving him in a state of euphoria and bliss, making him completely forget about the responsibilities, the expectations, and concentrate only on the bodies dancing around him and the drink in his hand. The pounding music, the drinks, the drugs and the people of the rave mob were a part of this strange, distorted paradise he revisited constantly.
   Both women and occasionally men would make passes at him. More often than not when he wasn't so off his face that he couldn't see his hand if he held it up in front of his face, he would go with them to experience moments of enhanced pleasure due to the drug, and go back to meet up with everyone else. There, the process would repeat itself until he was passed out on the ground with an empty bottle in his hand, not returning home until he woke up and arrived back home that night or early the next morning.

~~~

   Two sisters, aged nine and eleven, were playing with precious miniature porcelain dolls that were part of a set, using the large expensive dollhouse in the room they shared. Averie asks her older sister,
   "Aimee, where do you think Jacob went? He left earlier this evening and hasn't come back." The older sister, not wanting to taint her younger sister's image of their older brother says, "He just went out with some friends for dinner. He won't be back until we're both already asleep." Averie sighs in disappointment.
   Their brother frequently goes out all night with friends and doesn't come back home until late at night or early morning. Their mother who was drunk most of the time was unable to appropriately carry out the duties a mother should. In her father's case, he was quite distant with them, demanding that they call him Liam or Mr Wryte (never dad or father) and he was rarely home at all, spending most of his time either at work or visited the house of one of his mistresses. The younger sister gets bullied a lot at school for being different and not participating in the same things that the other kids did, making her older sister the only companion she had in life. If not for her sister, Averie would be completely alone.
   "Aimee, you're my only friend. Everyone else at school is mean to me, but that's ok. I don't need them because I have you." The older sister smiles and says, "You don't know how happy that makes me."
   "I'm glad," the younger sister replies. "But I want you to promise me something. Will you stay with me? Promise that you will stay with me, 'til the very end?" Averie asks earnestly.
   "I promise. Until the very end."