9. Arms at Sea

Dedicated to rilayaisme,  @puppies108  and @wendyguardiansofgf 

  thank you for reading and getting lost in feels with the ships. I wonder if you read because of nostalgia for the series or if it was skimmed for a brief moment - whatever reason thank you for taking time. 

          In her arms, Maya felt the world was safe again. Lowering her face-mask she nuzzled deeper into Riley's shoulder feeling the fuzz of cotton and the body heat emanating through. Removing her motorcycle gloves, she went back to stroking the brunette's hair. Breathing in the sun and basking in its warmth. The presence of the sun can still cast it shadows.

She expected to be burnt by the flames, a fight that would in end in bitter tears and words that would mark her. She took Lucas away from the sun that offered him with the rain.

This was a slice of happiness she didn't deserve.  Maybe it will come later when she least expects it. When it'll hurt more, but right now Maya couldn't find it in herself to pull away from the arms of home.

                                                     For now she let her guard down for Riley.

         A vibration from Riley's pocket alerted them of a text. Maya stepped back with the brunette reluctantly letting her go. Sighing Riley made space to read the text. Maya took this time to reel herself back in, blocking out the sun rays.

"They're about to head out of the cafe," She informed Maya. Warm brown eyes were searching the ocean blues that never seem to leave her in wake or sleep. She saw aquamarine dimming to a murky blue. Wondering what thoughts were going down in the mind of Mayaville.

Turning  towards the exit, she noticed the blonde was still preoccupied. Out of habit Riley laced their hands together tugging gently with her thumb drawing small circles at the back of Maya's palm. Maya jerked her hand back, closing it into a fist. The brunette internally cringed, she might've came off too strong - remembering the spiteful texts she had sent Maya when she was hurt. Back when she was being petty wanting to hurt Maya as much she hurt her. She looked away trying not to cry, why couldn't she control herself. Turn off her phone during those times and walk away? She had emotionally matured and needed to prove to Maya that its no excuse to use her as an emotional outlet. 

         Maya followed silently behind Riley. Closed fist trying to etch the feeling of Riley's soft hand to her callous fingers. The same callous fingers that Riley's lips or fingers brushed after Maya practiced the guitar to the bone or painted. While Riley looked ahead, Maya observed her side profile with a hidden soft smile. 

The pair caught up to the group waiting outside of the bookstore. Farkle being the only one out of the three, surprised to find Maya with Riley. The blonde texted Lucas letting him know where she was, while they wandered the mall. 

 "Peaches, do we have to walk around with you in this get-up? I feel like we're smuggling E.T." 

"Quiet you. The night's young, where we heading next?" Maya said adjusting her face-mask and sunglasses. Noises of lasers shooting zombies, 8-bit music and the smell of pizza answered the question.

"THE ARCADE!" 

    Farkle had collected their money and orders, sending Auggie and Ava to scout for good seats. While Maya and Riley leaned against the counter waiting for their money to convert to tokens. Nudging Riley, Maya smirked towards the Resident Evil game. The brunette quirked an eyebrow accepting the challenge as they made their way towards the game - a few guys stalked over.