XIII

update: 4/9/18
-

---------------------------------

Baekhyun bid them goodbye, leaving them with a few dirty dishes that needed to be clean. Byul actually quite tired after the emotional event just now so, she literally let out a heavy sighed upon seeing the dirty dishes. She was about to go into the kitchen when Jaehyun beat her first.

"Let me do the dishes for you."

He said, along a smile across his already handsome face. Byul was baffled for a sec by the smile but literally, remained steady. She can't accept his offer to do the dishes since he had cooked lunch for them already. She felt as if she was no different with the other women that used to be his owner. It felt somewhat unfair and selfish at the same time. And she disliked it.

Jaehyun saw how struggling she was as if she felt guilty about him doing almost everything in the house instead of her. For him, she deserved a rest. Reluctantly, he pushed her gently toward the living room, into the sofa.

"Wait, Jae-"she protested.

"Rest, Byul. You just had a rough day after all."

With that, her lips felt like it magically zipped by unforeseen magic spell. She was defeated by his consideration, if that actually the right word. Well, she was confused too at the same time.

"Fine," she blew a raspberry. "You win."

And he smiled in victory after she claimed defeated.

Once Jaehyun disappeared into the kitchen, she leaned her back into the couch and closed her eyes, trying her best to rest but she couldn't. She just had her eyes looking at the ceiling blankly. Then, she realised something-

She forgot to take her shoes into the house.

Finally, she got a reason to move. She abruptly stand up and ran outside the house to grab her shoes.

Jaehyun was too occupied with the dishes, so, he didn't notice that Byul already disappeared from the safe zoneㅡ in the apartment, within his reach.

As for Byul, she was too happy by having a reason to move instead of resting. She took her shoes into her hands and was about to get herself into her apartment when she heard a faint voice of a woman, calling for help.

She was a little confuse, again. She tried her best on finding where did the voice came from other than from the next door? From the upstairs? She thought it was impossible to hear a voice from upstairs. Maybe.

She turned her head to the next door and was surprised by the slightly open door. She paused for a while before taking a few steps toward the next door.

As she made her way toward the next door, she shook her head upon remembering Baekhyun unbelievable story about their neighbour that never exist.

Well, at that moment, her words was proved right while Baekhyun was proven wrong.

She pushed the door lightly, peeking into the house afterward to find a woman, laying lifeless across the floor, face-flat into the flooring, making her face hid from Byul's eyes. She assumed that the woman was abused by her boyfriend since she had always heard their voices from the other side. Not like she wanted to eardrop to whatever they were doing. It was just, they were too loud to not to be hear.

She was too occupied with her inner thought whether to help the poor woman or just left her like that after what the couple had done to her, which it was disturbing her peaceful life whenever she got home from work to rest and sleep.

She was too deep into it until she didn't realise that the front door was closed already by an unknown force. Once she was out of her deep thought, she realized that she was currently in the dark. But, that didn't scare her.

It was dark and she can't see where the woman was. So, she tried to call out for the woman while walking straight absently.

"Hey, you're okay there?" she tried again. "Urm...miss?"

She got no answer to her calling at all. She sighed. She had been calling for the woman for many times but didn't get the answer from the latter.

She was actually clueless about her situation at the moment.

She kept on expecting the woman to answer back her call but instead of getting what she wanted, she got-

"Miss Byul, finally!"

She jumped in surprise. To hear a very deep voice of a man instead of typical woman's voice, indeed made her shocked. She thought it was just the woman only in the house.

"Who-"

The room suddenly fill with lights and there was a figure in a red suit, standing right in front of her.

It weird since she knew the guy already even thought it was her first time to see him in person. She knew he wasn't a human. And he must the one that changed Jaehyun's life back then. She was fully aware of it.

Before he can say anything to her, she snapped at him, surprising the latter for the unexpected turn of event.

"What...do you want from me?"

He can smell that she was scared of his presence but she covered it with the talking. He wanted laughed at her for pretending to be brave for Jaehyun. Was it suppose the guy that should protect the girl? But he was witnessing something opposite. Byul was trying to protect Jaehyun by trying to be Jaehyun's knight. How amusing, he thought.

Well, that didn't suit her. Maybe, he should addressed her as ... Jaehyun's guardian angel. That certainly suit her better than been a knight. He mentally gave himself an applause for thinking that suitable name for her.

"I don't want it to end already," he said, as his eyes stopped at her with a smirk across his face.

"I want to see more."

She pursed her lips, trying to compose herself from quivering more than she should at that moment. She knew what the man capable of. That man in red wasn't a human. He was just using his human form to trick the human. And, she loathed it.

He got the pleasure just by watching Jaehyun in pain. It was kind of pathetic till she couldn't say anything about it. After all, that man only got a human appearance but his heart? His heart was a monster. Even though, nowadays, human can be crueler than the demon.

The exact doppelganger of a demon.

His words may scared her a bit but she won't back off. She wanted Jaehyun to be free from the demon grasp. Free from him and free from his cruel curse or whatsoever people call it. Nevertheless, she wanted the pain she felt from Jaehyun to disappear...

...for good. She wanted it to end, right at that moment even it can cost her life. But, will she?

He suddenly laughed, shook his head along with a smile spread across his devilish handsome face.

"I feel pity for you, humans. All of you are fool. Once you fall in love, everything seem easy in your eyes. And almost-" the smile just now changed into a cocky-one.

He continued, "-everything seem possible. What a complete lunatic!"

Finally, she flinched upon his voice been raised. Hence, he was satisfied by the reaction since she had been quite brave a few minutes ago.

"I..."

She started and it perk the man to hear more.

"I want Jaehyun to be free because..."

She stopped in the middle of her words, gulping after that, trying her best on been brave before she could finish with her words. Her heart beat fast against her ribcage, almost escaping it as if wanted to get out of a jail, which it was the ribcage. The feeling she was experiencing at that moment was the same as how she felt whenever Jaehyun looked into her eyes. She felt helpless for the first time.

The feeling was urging herself to let the words out if she wanted to feel in ease again. And so, she opened her mouth, letting the words escape from her lips.

"...because I love him."