This Is War

- Chapter One -

"I'll stay with Douglas," Chase informs as he stands. "You guys head back out and try to find Reese. If it's a war they want...then we'll give 'em one."

The team stands up in silence, though conflicted as you speak, still kneeling beside Douglas. "I'll stay here with Chase. The rest of you head out and find her."

They all nod in agreement as they take off through the rock wall and down the tunnel where you all previously entered minutes before.

"Go with them," Chase nods in the team's direction, indicating you to join them. "I know you want to."

You shake your head, "As much as I want to, I need to be here."

The Hydra-lift opens, Perry stepping out to guide the paramedics to Douglas.

Once they have Dougas strapped on the streacher and take him up into the penthouse, you, Chase, and Perry follow right behind them. And once you all get outside, they place him in the ambulance and drive off toward the hospital.

As you and Chase enter the backseat of Perry's car, Chase pulls out his phone from his thigh pocket as Perry starts the car. "I'll call Mr. Davenport to let him know what's going on."

As Perry slighty speeds over the limit to get to the hospital, Chase talks clearly yet rapidly to Mr. Davenport who you knew was probably loosing his marbles. You stare out the window, trying to tamper down your emotions. As doing so, you keep an eye out for any black swarms but the sky was clear as it could be, minus the smoke from multiple fires.

It makes sense that they're gone. After all, they did get what they wanted.

Once arriving at the hospital, everything just sorta becomes a blur. You hated hospitals, always reminding you of the sickness and death that people had to go through. You just hope that you would never have to lose a loved one here.

You draw in your emotions once more when you three have to wait in the waiting room.

You all sit in silence for a while, watching people walk past - ranging from nurses, to doctors, to patients - and hearing people talking in low murmers to not disrupt the quiet atmoshpere, even though you feel like screaming.

Eventually you think it gets to Perry, because she ends up saying that she's going to get you all coffee. She leaves to go to the cafeteria, which you have no idea where it's located.

Chase ends up leaning forward, placing his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands.

"Hey," you intone, rubbing your hand across his back to soothe him. "It's okay. Douglas will be fine."

Not only are you trying to comfort him, but also yourself.

"It's all my fault," Chase sighs, uncovering his face and leaning into the palms of his hands. "I did this."

"No, you didn't. Reese did." You continue to rub his back gently. "You didn't know, Chase."

Chase sits up straighter, making your hand slide off his back. You place your hand in your lap as he turns to look at you, eyes full of regret and sorrow. "But you did, and I didn't listen. If I would've listened to you, none of this would've happened. If Douglas, if he..."

"Don't put all the blame on yourself, okay? You did not know. It is not your fault, understand?" You grip his left shoulder firmly, trying to make him understand.

When Perry comes with coffee, you and Chase drop the subject as she sits herself down in her chair. The team comes around two in the morning, they couldn't find any of the shifters.