Part 42

Lorena tried to keep herself busy to distract her from the slight cramp she had every now and then. She was feverish and helped herself with a few of the mild drugs she found in Stefan's mini clinic. He had provided her with enough food and toiletries to last her the year round but she was so alone.

Her pregnancy was now far gone but Stefan was nowhere to be found. She also knew the danger in trying to reach him. He would crush her head if she tried having a mental contact with him. She had tried to let him know that she was pregnant a few weeks earlier and he had almost killed her.

He hadn't even given her the time to explain. He hadn't even wondered why after a year she would try to reach his mind. But unlike the previous times, he didn't come back to assess and rectify the damage he had done. That was when it occurred to her that Stefan wouldn't give a damn if anything happened to her.

She had been sick for days, very worried about how her health would affect her baby. She wasn't sure if she could survive a miscarriage. She was supposed to be seeing a gynaecologist/obstetrician, wasn't she? She could barely stay on her feet and she hadn't been feeding well. She also had nightmares in which her father tried to abort her baby with sharp instruments.

She was trapped in the house with no way out and no access to a doctor. She had no idea what to do now that she was in the beginning of her third trimester. She had never felt so alone. She was alone in a massive house. What if something went wrong? What if she began to bleed?

She dragged herself to the bathroom where she took care of her needs with difficulty. She stood before the mirror over the sink and thought of how horrible she looked. There were bags beneath her eyes and her face was pale and gaunt. She had lost a lot of weight in the days since Stefan had almost knocked her out in his anger.

"Stay out of my head, Familiar." he had told her after he had almost crushed her skull.

After over a year he still referred to her as Familiar and that hurt. She was nothing to him. She was nothing to anyone. Her baby was all she had and it would kill her to lose her child. She was so lonely. This was the time when she needed her true mate most but she was now convinced that she didn't have one.

She had made the mistake of thinking that Stefan was her true mate. She had allowed her dreams to rule her senses. She had genuinely believed that he was her true mate but she was now convinced that she was wrong.

She wiped a stray tear. All her life she had been shedding tears for people. She had been hurt by the very people who were supposed to love and protect her. Her father had beaten her until he had broken her spirit. She recalled the weeks she spent on admission in the mini clinic in Sergei's lair.

Miguel had been hitting her since she was old enough to know the alphabets. She had kept out of his way while growing up, hiding at the sound of his voice. She had been so frightened that she could differentiate the sound of his footsteps from others. Yet he always found her and beat her up. Not even after she submitted herself for the experiments he was working on, her blood being drained and analysed without any explanation as to why.

He blamed her for everything that went wrong. He let her starve for days and locked her up in a closet. And when he released her, she was usually drenched in her own faeces and urine and very hungry. She had never had a toy to play with. The other Renegades stayed away from her except those times when they teased and taunted her.

She didn't know what it felt like to be hugged. She had never dated because her father had threatened the Renegades with mortal harm if they came close to his daughter and with Sergei as his back bone, no one dared challenge him.