Part 7

It was Nicolae and Sharon's First Anniversary. Stefan had been best man at their wedding and his baby sister Iulia, Sharon's chief bridesmaid.

The reception was held in their second home, the home the mortal and persons outside the Romanescu family and employees knew. Nicolae had an estate which was about four hours away.

After dancing with her husband, father-in-law and grandfather-in-law as well as a few others, Sharon moved to Marina's side. Marina stood apart nursing a drink. She looked up when Sharon approached her.

"Congratulations," she told her sister-in-law, a light smile on her face.

"Gracias, Marina. Are you enjoying the party?"

"Of course," Marina replied too quickly.

"Liar", Sharon smiled. "You have been trying so hard to avoid company."

"Was I that obvious?"

"To me"

"I am sorry. I'm truly happy for you and Nicolae but I am not really in the mood to socialize. It's got nothing to do with you."

"I know Stefan dragged you down here" Marina nodded. "You know, Marina, he just wants you to get to his family better"

"I don't belong here, Sharon. You fit in perfectly despite the fact that you are mortal but I don't. I was never meant to be a Romanescu.

Sharon was concerned about her sister-in-law, especially with the hatred she couldn't hide when she was around Stefan. She knew about their wedding night for Marina had told her about it. She had also confessed to Sharon that she was in love with Sergei. But Sharon knew that her brother Stefan loved his wife and her rejection hurt him even more than he let out. Obviously his love was not enough to reverse the growth of the seed of hatred he had planted in his wife in their wedding night.

"Don't say that, Marina. Of course you were meant to be a Romanescu just like I. We are both married to two wonderful men who are crazy about us."

"You chose to spend the rest of your life with Nicolae. I wasn't given the chance to choose my true mate. I didn't pick Stefan and he married me knowing that I was in love with Sergei."

Sharon sighed.

"I think what both of you need is some time away from everyone else. You might be able to settle your differences."

"Or end up killing each other. You are a woman in love, Sharon. You should understand what it is like for me to be with Stefan when my heart belongs to another man."

"You might be mistaken in your feelings for Sergei. After all you knew him for only a few hours before Stefan whisked you away."

"You don't need to be with a man for long to know that he is the one. I have never been happy with Stefan. He frightens me. He makes me miserable. A woman shouldn't be a man she is not comfortable with."

Sharon agreed with her but then they had gotten off on the wrong start. Sharon believed that things could be better between them if Marina could only forgive Stefan for that one night. The guilt was eating her brother up. But the woman was stubborn and so was her husband. Sharon loved Stefan. He was the brother she'd never had. And it hurt her to see him miserable in his marriage. He was already married to Marina when they had met, but she had noticed the sadness in his eyes even as he teased her. They had formed a kinship.

"At some point, Marina, you would have to forgive him. Hate is a very powerful feeling. It brings about bitterness which eats you up completely, enslaves you and ensures that you are in a perpetual state of misery. What has happened has happened. And as much as I do not condone what he did to you, you really should give it a rest. It's been three years and both of you are suffering terribly. It is time to bury the hatchet and I don't mean in your heads. You are married to each other and it is in your best interests to work things out. "

"I'll never love Stefan" Marina said stubbornly.

"I never thought the day would come when I would find myself in love with a vampire but I am and I wouldn't exchange him for anything in the world. I am also related to a lot of Immortals. Things happen. You should give up your obsession with Sergei before it destroys you."

"Sergei loves me and I'll do anything within my power to be with him."

Sharon didn't like the sound of that.

"He is bad news."

"You don't know him."

"I met him once and he gave up bad vibes. Besides he is a Renegade."

"He is the kindest and gentlest man I have ever known. Stefan had no right to come between us."

"It's been three years. Do you really believe that he would still be waiting for you?

"Si. He is my true mate."

"Stefan is your true mate."

"No, he isn't. That is why I can't love him."

At that moment Ilianu decided that it was time to dance with his second son's wife. Sharon left in search of Stefan who was conspicuously absent.