Fight for Love: Chapter 28

-Erwin's POV-

I was faking busyness, faking the attentive glint in my eyes, faking the way I read every line of every ledger; I wasn't even sitting behind my desk, subconsciously. Even though my hand kept scrawling my signature, my mind didn't process what was going on, only focusing on one thing and one thing only: a feverish Sakura. Yes, Sakura, the love of my life, the only person in the world I am willing to truly smile around, the only person who was willing to battle my internal monsters with me and show me the light. That was only two of the thousands of reasons why I fell head over heels for the girl and now she lays in the other room, just a mere twenty feet away, with a growing fever.

I didn't understand what was wrong, Hanji told me it was just a Flu and that she would recover within a day or two, but why hasn't she woken up? Or given any indication to... well anything? I would change out her washcloths ever half hour and I would let my fingers stray on her feverish cheek before detaching myself and return to my work.

Who was I kidding? I was barely working! A expedition was coming up in two and a half weeks, all the necessary paperwork had to be done by then as well as all the requirements had to be met. In other words I shouldn't be dotting over her when I have work too do and lots of work at that. But I've tried! Oh, how I've tried to stop thinking about her illness and focus on the ledgers in front of me. It doesn't work! Maybe for a couple minutes, if that, my mind will focus before straying back to her.

My body hummed with the need to get close to her, she was like a drug to me and I couldn't stop drowning in it. Wouldn't stop. With a heavy sigh I place my pen down and push back from my desk. I wish I could just go in there and sit with her, wrap my arms around her feverish body and just coax her out of her slumber. But if I did, Levi would kill me, I already had a long conversation about how the paperwork was more important at the moment and I knew that! But try as I might I can't stop thinking about her.

Finally coming to a conclusion that Levi can screw off, I stride to the door and gently open it. The darkness within momentarily blinds me and I have to stand in the doorway to regain my senses before walking forward and kneeling next to her head. Her black hair was fanned out around her head and here face still felt feverish to my fingers, she's gasping for air and I feel my heart contract at the sight. I inhale sharply when my fingers graze over her forehead, feeling the original source of the fever seems to scorch my roaming finger tips.

"Erwin." A voice growls from behind me and I rise from my kneeled position to turn around and face the man standing in the doorway.

"Trent." I reply back stepping so Sakura is hidden behind my large frame.

"May I speak with you for a moment?" I can hear the amused smile in his voice.

"Yes," I reply and step out of the room to face the Military Police Sergeant head on,"even though you came here unannounced, I guess I can spare a few minutes." I pull the bedroom door shut behind me.

Trent's eyes seem to spark with mirth,"So you and Sakura, huh?"

My hand tightens on the door knob and my breath freezes in my throat, I'm quick to cool my expression down though and eye the Sergeant curiously,"What do you want Trent?" My tone is formal yet threatening.

Trent arches an eyebrow,"Listen,"He says and holds up his hands in a surrendering manner,"I'm not here to pull you two apart. I actually think you two deserve a chance at happiness." He shrugs his shoulders,"I mean it's obvious you two belong together."

"But my superiors won't think the same." I say.

Trent nods his head,"I agree they won't, but,"He holds up a single digit,"I have a loop hole for you."