Fight for Love: Chapter 19

I shove my way through the throng of Trainees and Garrison soldiers, my eyes roving over every head looking for three specific people. So far I haven't seen head nor tail of Marco, Reiner or Jean; even though Jean was a total ass to me all the way through the Trainee Corps I can't help but look for the cocky bastard.

Yet, even before I got into this crowd, Mikasa and Eren tried reassuring me that they were safe, that nothing happened to my friends and single acquaintance. But, I shrugged off their words and dove straight into the ever growing crowd. With each delicate minute that passes my heart drops further and further with every face I don't recognize. Then, a firm hand clamps down on my elbow catching me from moving anymore and yanking me backwards.

"H-hey!" I call trying to jerk my arm back, but the grip tightens until I break through the crowd. I'm spun around to face my 'abductor' and all the breath that was in my lungs whooshes out like I was punched in the stomach.

"R-Reiner." I whisper in shock staring at his smiling face. His eyes dance with happiness.

"Hey Sakura it's good to see you." He pulls me into a tight and warm embrace. I stand there in shock, basking in his warmth my mouth hanging half open in dumbfounded shock.

"Oh my god Oh my god. I thought you died. Oh my god." I whisper as I wrap my arms solidly around his waist.

"I know," I can feel him chuckling the vibrations of it shaking my smaller frame,"I thought you died too."

"I'm fine. We're fine." I whisper, tears of happiness threatening to spill that I quickly stifle. He pulls back, holding me at arms length, but instead of his eyes dancing with happiness like they were minutes ago; regret shines in them like a beacon.

"Sakura," he glances back over my shoulder and I twist around to see Mikasa standing there watching us carefully,"Before you go back into Titan territory I want you to know I'm truly sorry for everything that I have done, but I want you to know that I can only be myself around you."

"What do you mean?" He gently pushes me back in the direction of Mikasa,"Reiner?"

He gives me a small sad smile,"Go on. You have a mission to complete and so do I." He turns and disappears in the crowd of soldiers.

"Reiner!" I yell ready to plunge straight back into the crowd if it wasn't for Mikasa's hand, I would have.

"Sakura," she says pulling me back by my shoulder,"We got to go."

I curse underneath my breath, my mind whirling with questions directed toward Reiner,"Alright alright! I'm going." I shake her hand off of me and twist around to walk next to her in the direction of the squad.

The crowd seems to split showing where the Elite squad is standing hunched over a map as they revise the final decisions for the mission. I take a deep breath and shake everything that was on my mind off, refocusing myself I steel my nerves and cool my expression. I have to be ready for this mission; nothing is going to hold me back.

------*------*------

I curse as I kill yet another Titan that threatens the safety of Titan Eren, so many have been drawn away, towards us, towards him. I land in a crouch my muscles already begging for relieve that I can't give them, not yet. My clothes are coated in blood from fallen soldiers, my cloak having fallen off ages ago laying on a roof somewhere.

"An 11 meter class coming in from the East!" Rico yells pointing her sword in the direction, her silver hair is matted with sweat and her silver eyes skim carefully over the buildings in search for threats.

"I'll get it!" I yell back, we nod our heads at each other in understanding, but just as I'm about to swoop in for the kill; Mikasa comes out of nowhere and kills it effortlessly. The Titan falls on a roof and Mikasa lands on top of it gazing at the still steaming Titan Eren. I land next to her in a defensive crouch, my body coiled like a snake ready to spring.