Fight for Love: Chapter 26

I can feel Levi's eyes on me, scorching like an open flame would, but I tried my best to ignore it; even going to extreme measures such as trying to hide behind a curtain of hair. Of course, my attempts were futile, and Levi kept watching me even over the top of his tea cup. I knew what I looked like when I came down for breakfast this morning, facer paler than usual, eyes almost dead and everything about me seemed....dead.

"Sakura,"Levi says in his usual deadpan way, my head snaps up instinctively,"Come with me." He places his tea cup on its respective saucer and stands up, I look down at the table not wanting to move, but knowing I have no other choice. Eren's eyes burned into my back as I walked away, concern rolling off of the male in waves. I tired to straighten out my expression tried desperately to seem like nothing was wrong, but I knew better. Levi would look through my fake smiles and laughs with ease, nothing could get past the smaller male.

He led me, silently, through the hallways until we reached his make shift office,"Take a seat." He says and motions at the seats that are positioned in front of his paper covered desk.

I hesitantly take a seat and eye the Lance Corporal suspiciously,"What is it that you wanted, sir?" Inwardly, I flinch at the sound of my voice that sounds emotionless even to my own ears.

He watches me, every move I make is calculated and registered with his keen silver eyes,"What the hell is wrong with you?" He demands.

I blink in fake surprise and reply almost too fast,"Nothing, sir, I'm just tired."

"Don't try to feed me that bullshit." He growls, eyes narrowing.

"I'm not!" I defend myself quickly, knowing that if I even tell him about the devastating letter I received this morning that he'll tell Erwin. And I definitely can't have that.

"Sakura," He snaps,"You're a horrible liar."

"I'm not lying." I growl, narrowing my own eyes.

He snorts,"Yeah, whatever."

We have a stare off, our eyes burning into each other's. He doesn't look like he is going to back down until I give in, but then, I am not going to back down. Not even an inch. He leans back against his chair and folds his arms across his chest, clicking his tongue a couple times it seems like he's finally realizing that I'm not going to tell him what's going on,"Go get ready for training brat." He mutters darkly.

Relief washes through me like a tidal wave,"Yes, sir." I say and stand up to salute him and leave. Again, his eyes watch my every move until his door is blocking his penetrating gaze and allows me to take a deep breath.

Petra is patiently waiting for me at the foot of the foyer steps, she is casually leaning against the railing arms folded over her chest and a gentle smile on her face,"Everything okay?" She asks with a gentle tone of voice.

I flash her a smile that I know doesn't reach my eyes,"Yeah, everything's fine."

She gently grabs my elbow to stop me from sweeping out the doors to join the boys,"I know better, Sakura," She whispers her eyes shining with worry and concern,"Something happened."

My throat closes up and a tight fake smile automatically takes over my bland features,"Nothing happened, Petra." I attempt to persuade her, just like Levi,"I'm just tired, is all."

Her eyes harden slightly, accusation swamping her face, but her grip lessens and she steps back with a shy,"Alright," she whispers,"just make sure you get more sleep, okay?"

I grin and this time it's genuine,"I will, thanks Petra."

With pursed lips and slightly narrowed eyes she hums in acknowledgement before turning on her heel and walking outside. Leaving me standing at the foot of the stairs, baffled and confused. I understand that everybody is worried for me, I mean this squad is like my family, like we are all brothers and sisters and Levi is the rude overprotective and guarded older brother. But, I can't and won't dump my 'relationship' problems on them; especially since the 'relationship' I do have is looked down on and ridiculed by many. I'm lucky to get as far as I am now, people could have noticed before and I, most likely, wouldn't have even been warned. Now that I have been warned and the full realization of what all Erwin could lose, what all I could lose is like a blow to the chest. I won't allow Erwin to get yanked down, not while I'm breathing, he's the love of my life and I wouldn't be able to stand seeing him destroyed. Then again he would be devastated for me to leave, so really my hands are tied. Either I can stay with him and watch his downfall or I can pull away from him and watch his heartbreak from afar. A trembling and troubled sigh leaves my lips, I'm at a complete loss and have no where to turn.